No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Coastguard retrieves empty migrant boat, suspects tragic end

bythomwestcott
May 14, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Coastguard retrieves empty migrant boat, suspects tragic end

The empty inflatable dinghy found drifting eight miles off the coast of Tripoli this morning (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Tom Westcott.

The empty inflatable dinghy found drifting eight miles off the coast of Tripoli this morning (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 14 May 2013:

An empty boat used by sub-Saharan migrants hoping to reach European shores retrieved by the Libyan . . .[restrict]Coastguard this morning suggests that more lives have been lost at sea.

The 15-foot Zodiac inflatable dinghy, empty apart from personal possessions and identification documents, was found drifting some eight miles off the coast of Tripoli.

“A boat this size would often carry 80-90 people,” a Libyan Coastguard official told the Libya Herald today. “We suspect that those on board may have died because we have found mobile phones, passports and money.”

RELATED POSTS

IOM identifies 894,890 migrants in Libya from 45 nationalities in May-July 2025 reporting period – 18 percent up on 2024

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Tragically, among the provisions, there was a large, opened tin of baby formula milk. Personal items, such as a bottle of perfume, make-up, family photographs and a quantity of clothing were also found in the dinghy.

Other items abandoned on board included three mobile phones, passports and identity cards. The identity documents belonged to sub-Saharan Africans. One, the coastguard said, appeared to be that of a Sudanese policeman.

Items found on board the drifting boat are a moving testament to the plight of migrants hoping to find a better life in Europe (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Amongst the water-damaged possessions were a number of photographs, one of which showed people who had previously been apprehended by the Coastguard.

“We recognise three people in this picture,” the Coastguard official said, “we caught them before and handed them over to the police.” Another staff member sorting out the items said that these people were desperate.

The Coastguard official said the vessel could have been used to deliver the migrants onto another boat. However, he added that this was unlikely because passports, mobile phones and money were the first things people would take with them, if they boarded another boat.

The UN refugee agency UNHCR has said that the number of people leaving Libya by sea is on the increase. “Since the start of March, 24 boats have departed from Libya carrying about 2,500 people, including 1,790 in April,” UNHCR said, adding that: “Those on board were mainly from Eritrea, Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan.”

Of these 24 recorded boats, four were turned back by the Libyan Coastguard, nineteen reached Italy and one made it to Malta.

Last Thursday two boats carrying 84 illegal migrants were apprehended by the Libyan Navy and taken to the port of Khoms.

“Nearly every week we bring in a boat,” the Coastguard official said, “and now the weather is warmer, sometimes we find two a week.” [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaLibyan coastguardmigrantsTripoliUNHCR

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Government moves quickly on GNC's Benghazi security resolution: Shuwail

Social networks get it wrong on Benghazi bomb death toll

Social networks get it wrong on Benghazi bomb death toll

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.