No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Breakthrough housing deal agreed by Government and Chinese company

byMichel Cousins
December 28, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Breakthrough housing deal agreed by Government and Chinese company

Libya and China sign the agreement today

By Ayman Amzein.

Zhang Zuohe,  of general manager of CSCEC (left) and Mahmoud Bashir Ajaj, head of the project implementation unit sign the agreement today

Benghazi, 12 May 2013:

The Ministry of Housing and the Beijing-based China State Construction Engineering Corporation (CSCEC) signed an agreement . . .[restrict]in Benghazi today to resume work on 20,000 housing units in the city. The buildings are in the Gwarsha and Khadra districts.

Work stopped at the beginning of the revolution but since then efforts by both sides to get it restarted have been stymied by arguments over compensation and increased costs in the intervening period.

“We have reached agreement with the Chinese company to reactivate the project,” said the Housing and Utilities Minister, Ali Sharif. “We need to complete this project to resolve the desperate housing crisis,” he stated. The company, he said, had agreed to deliver the first 1,500 units as soon as possible.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Korea discuss resuming stalled housing projects

Aldabaiba defends subsidies, grants, overspending, over-employment – will support housing but not corruption

He called the deal a “second profitable chance” for CSCEC.

As to the matter of compensation, he indicated that this has been done by giving the company an additional contract. “We have reached an agreement by which the same Chinese company that started the project would be allowed to carry out the infrastructure for the project, provided that such an agreement helps accelerate implementation of the project.”

The agreement came after a series of multi-party negotiations between Benghazi Local Council, the Chinese company and the Ministry of Housing and Utilities in order to find a formula to to resolve the obstacle of compensation being asked by CSCEC and  ensure its return to work.

The meeting was attended by the Deputy Prime Minister, Awad Barassi, Housing Minister Ali Sharif, the Leader of Benghazi Local Council, Mahmoud Abu Raziza, and his deputy, Ahmed Buzribe, as well as CSCEC General Manager Zhang Zuohe and Chinese Ambassador to Libya, Wang Wangsheng.

Also there were the Chairman of the council’s Housing and Utilities Committee, Mustafa Sheikhi, Planning Committee Chairman Awad Subaihi, the housing units’ project manager, Rafi Sharif Qitrani, and the head of its implementation unit, Mahmoud Bashir Ajaj.

The deal, in which the thorny issue of compensation is addressed by granting additional contracts, is seen as opening the door to completing numerous other housing and infrastructure projects with Chinese and foreign companies. [/restrict]

Tags: ChinafeaturedhousingLibya

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

May 19, 2026
Workshop on strengthening institutional capacities in Libya’s leasing sector
Business

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

May 19, 2026
Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey
Business

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

May 19, 2026
Libyan Iron and Steel Company achieves record production in HBI and DRI
Business

Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
Next Post

Zeidan praises Qatar

Malta Enterprise leads 13 companies at Libya Build 2013

Malta Enterprise leads 13 companies at Libya Build 2013

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.