No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya marks International Mine Awareness Day

bythomwestcott
April 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya marks International Mine Awareness Day

Children in Misrata exchange their toy guns for boxes of lego (Photo: Frank Brumfit/ DCA Mine Action)

Tripoli, 5 April 2013:

Children marched through Tripoli, to mark International Day for Mine Awareness (Photo: Tom Westcott)

Libya marked International Day for Mine Awareness yesterday, Thursday, with events, including marches, performances and exhibitions, across the . . .[restrict]country.

Some 200 children, from the Scouts and local schools, gathered at Tripoli’s Al Gazella Square and, raising their banners and stopping the traffic, marched along the Corniche.

At the Radisson Blu hotel, where the march ended, there were speeches, including one by the Minister of Education, Ali Muftah Ebaid, and prayers, as well as a rendition of the National Anthem. There were also children’s performances and an art exhibition.

UNICEF’s country director, Carel De Rooy, told the Libya Herald that Libyans, supported by mine clearance NGOs, had cleared 165,000 explosive remnants of war over the last year and a half.

RELATED POSTS

Attorney General orders detention of Acting Education Minister Al-Abed over printing contracts and late delivery of school textbooks

Libya’s Ministry of Education has 600,000 employees, but only 180,000 actually teach – Huge corruption in the printing of the schoolbook

De Rooy said although there was still a lot of work to be done clearing unexploded ordinance and explosive remnants of war across the country, great progress had been made.

The International Day of Mine Awareness aims to raise knowledge and understanding of land-mines and the progress towards their eradication. The Tripoli events were led by the Ministry of Education, supported by The United Nations Children’s Fund UNICEF and international NGOs Handicap International, The Danish Demining Group and the Mines Advisory Group (MAG).

In Misrata, more than 2,000 adults and children attended an event to mark the day, which was organised by the Local and Military Council in Misrata in coordination with international NGOs, including DCA Mine Action, as well as local NGOs and schools.

Children in Misrata exchange their toy guns for boxes of lego (Photo: Frank Brumfit/ DCA Mine Action)

The festivities included a symbolic disarmament campaign, organised by DCA, where 500 school children handed over their toy guns in exchange for boxes of Lego building bricks for their schools. DCA said this event, entitled ‘Child’s Play for a Country Free of Weapons,’ was for children to “disarm their minds” and start the process of changing perceptions and behaviour on gun ownership and use in Libya.

“The symbolic disarmament will spread an important message to Libyan citizens and the wider region by showing that their children are willing to give up their weapons to build a safer future for Libya,” said DCA’s coordinator for small arms and light weapons, Frederic Faust. “The Lego is an educational and playful material that will help children to focus on a different way to have fun with tools that are not related to violence.”

Faust added that the event provided the chance for children to give a good example to their parents and communities.

Children also participated in a drawing competition and music, which highlighted the dangers of mines, unexploded ordinance and small arms use.

UNICEF, along with UNMAS, has been supporting a government-led drive to raise awareness in schools about unexploded ordinance. “185,000 children have been reached directly, via trainers by this project,” De Rooy said, “and many more have been reached in indirect ways, through poster campaigns and cartoons in textbooks.”

He said UNICEF was now looking beyond mine-related risks because last year there were no reported deaths of children from unexploded ordinance.

“The risk is still there but we’re starting to look at other dangers, including small arms, fireworks and road traffic accidents,” De Rooy said, “because these are all areas where child deaths take place.” [/restrict]

Tags: DCA Mine ActionHandicap InternationalInternational Day for Mine AwarenessLibyaMines Advisory Groupministry of educationThe Danish Demining GroupUNICEFUNMAS

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Car bomb in Beida

Opinion: Kings of the centre

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.