No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan reconciliation vital says Sarkozy

byMichel Cousins
August 23, 2020
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Mathieu Galtier.

Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy with Tripoli Local Council Leader Sadat Elbadri (left)

Tripoli, 19 March 2013:

Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has called on Libyans to work on reconciliation with those who . . .[restrict]supported or worked for the Qaddafi regime.  He made the call at a meeting with members of Tripoli Local Council during his visit to the council’s offices in Algeria Square today, Tuesday.

He had been invited by head of the council, Sadat Elbadri, to celebrate the second anniversary of the France’s decisive entry into the war against Qaddafi’s regime.

“I will tell you, as a friend – I would say as a brother – and from the bottom of my heart, you have to achieve the reconciliation. Libya needs all its children,” he said.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

“Everything cannot be forgiven, monstrosities cannot be forgotten,” he added. “But Libya needs all those who have no blood on their hands.”

The victors of the revolution were different to the Qaddafi regime, he added.  “Do not treat the enemies of democracy as they treated you, because you are not like them. You embody the future of Libya.”

The former French president then gave the example of reconciliation between France and Germany after World War II. “It wasn’t easy to do but those who chose friendship between France and Germany chose the future of France and of Germany.”

The issue of reconciliation is highly sensitive at the moment and Sarkozy was seen as referring to the controversial Political Isolation Law aimed at banning former leading Qaddafi officials from holding office for the next ten years. Nonetheless, Sarkozy’s appeal was widely applauded by Tripoli local council members.

Nicolas Sarkozy with Sadat Elbadri (right) and Alain Juppé (2nd left)

Sarkozy took advantage of the invitation to come to Tripoli remind to all Libyans (his speech was broadcasted by national TV) that he was one the few international  political leaders to believe in the revolution.

“I remember the 10 March 2011 when I received NTC delegation in Paris with Alain Juppé (who was French Foreign Affairs Minister at that time and who was part of the delegation today). All the diplomats warned me not to recognize the NTC saying ‘it’s too early’, ‘we don’t know them’, ‘we don’t know if they are representative’.  I remember courageous men who put themselves in danger, their families in danger. I thought myself: ‘You have no right not to take the political risk’.” He pointed out what had to those he had met that day “One is Prime minister, one is President [of the Congress] and one is Mayor of Tripoli [in fact, the leader of Tripoli Local Council].”

The latter, Sadat Elbadri, had earlier thanked Sarkozy: “Mr President, we do not forget history. The Libyan people do not forget your role in the revolution. The Libyan people do not forget the humanitarian attitude of France at the right moment. We thank the soldiers and the government (of France) which participated to the revolution. We salute a close friend of Tripoli”.

For his part, Sarkozy revealed that 19 March 2011 prompted “the most intense feelings as President of the French Republic” when he saw on TV “French tricolours on military planes in the sky of Benghazi to show clearly to Qaddafi: ‘You will not slaughter the civil population’.”

The revolution in Libya was bigger than the country, he said.  Libya was setting an example for the whole Arab world. “What is going on in Libya is an essential issue: Can the Arab people build a democracy?” The whole world was watching.  “You have to succeed, both for Libya and for your Arab brothers.”

He stressed the bonds between Libya and France, one of the main reasons for the French military operation: “Libya, it is in the Mediterranean area; France is in Mediterranean area. We are brothers. Our cultures have close roots. We have to understand each other.”

Following the meeting with Tripoli Local Council, Sarkozy and his delegation headed to the Mahary Radisson Blu for lunch with the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan. It included several members of the General National Congress who, for security reasons, met him there instead of at the Congress building.

After lunch, rather than returning back to France, he and his delegation flew to Benghazi to meet with members of its local council and other leading officials. It was apparently a spur-of-the moment decision, following an invitation from Ali Zeidan to go to Libya’s second city and join in the anniversary celebrations of its rescue from the advancing Qaddafi tank force by French fighter jets.

Sarkozy was reported to have said: “How can I refuse to go, when asked by the Prime Minister?”

While in Tripoli, Sarkozy refused to talk directly to the media. He avoided making any statements about sensitive issues such as French investigation into allegations of a Qaddafi donation for his 2007 electoral campaign or his potential return to the French political arena. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaNicolas SarkozyTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Social networker's online petition takes off

LD 66 BN budget finally passed

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.