Tripoli, 16 March 2013:
The Libya embassy in Cairo announced today, Saturday, that it is stopping work indefinitely.
In a statement an embassy . . .[restrict]official said that the decision had been taken because of fears that there could be a repetition of the events on Monday when dozens of Egyptian Christians threw stones at the building, burned the Libyan flag and ripped off the nameplate on the door, following the death of an Egyptian Christian in a Tripoli jail.
The embassy, which was not penetrated nor ransacked, would remain closed until the present crisis over Egyptian Christians in Libya was resolved, he said.
It is not known if the decision to suspend work is limited to issuing visas for Egyptians to work in Libya or also covers looking after the affairs of the many Libyans in the city.
The Libyan consulate in Alexandria is thought to be unaffected by the move. [/restrict]