No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Exclusive: Interview with Abdullah Senussi’s imprisoned daughter

byNigel Ash
March 3, 2013
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Unood Senussi (right) with her father

Tripoli, 2 March 2013:

Unood Senussi, a 22 year-old daughter of Qaddafi’s imprisoned security chief Abdullah Senussi, who is . . .[restrict]herself held in a Tripoli jail, has been interviewed by the Libya Herald and said she was being well treated and had been allowed to visit her father.

Unood Senussi was arrested on 6 October at the Cleopatra Hotel in Dahra, Tripoli, shortly after she had flown into the country from Algeria. At the time Reuters reported an official as saying she was carrying a large quantity of US dollars. She has been charged with entering Libya on a false passport. At her first court appearance on 20 November, Senussi pleaded not guilty and claimed that her passport in the name of ‘Unood Abdallah Mohammed’  was genuine, even though it omitted her Senussi family name.

Senussi was interviewed by the Libya Herald in the presence of the prison director and his deputy, along with other prison staff at the Al-Ruwaimi jail in Ain Zara. No recording or photography was allowed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Dressed in a black jacket with a brown headscarf, Senussi seemed in good health and appeared to speak freely. She said that she had come to Libya to see her father after his extradition from Mauritania, following his own detention in that country for travelling on a false Malian passport.

She said that she had originally been arrested by the military police and kept under house arrest for ten days, watched by a female guard, who, she said, had treated her well. She was then transferred to Al-Ruwaimi where she said that she has been detained with ten other women, who had all volunteered to join Qaddafi’s Peoples’ Guard.  The treatment of her fellow prisoners, she claimed, was not as good as her own.

Senussi said that she had been allowed to visit her father but did not say where or when the encounter took place. Abdullah Senussi is being held in the Hadba prison, where a guard is currently charged with smuggling him a mobile phone.

She explained that her father had been in good health and had said that he was being given special food. He had told her that she should not have come back to Libya and that he had wanted her to stay with her mother and her siblings and look after them.

Unood Senussi told the Libya Herald that the prison authorities allowed her to call her mother in Egypt once a month and she had made four such calls. “My treatment here in the prison is good, ” she said, “ and my aunt has come to visit me twice”.

Of her father, she insisted he was “a good man, an affectionate human being. He did not do anything bad or wrong. He used to help all people. He used  to never close the door of his house in the face of anyone. He was loved and never had any bodyguards. No one ever tried to kill him.”

She also said that she did not see Muammar Qaddafi as the Libyan leader, but as a member of the family, since he was married to her aunt. Her connection to him was “a family relationship”.

She said she had last seen Qaddafi at the beginning of the revolution, when he seemed anxious and tense. However, she recalled that he then spoke in private with her father and afterwards seemed relaxed and laid down.

“At the beginning of the air campaign against Libya,” said Senussi, “specifically on the first day of NATO’s bombardment of Tripoli, my father seemed very normal and did not show any tension or anxiety. He even returned home and went to sleep as usual”.

However, she added that the next day,  because NATO fighters seemed to be making passes over their home “my father moved us out of the house.  The next day the building was hit. Ten of our other houses were also bombed in Tripoli and other cities.

“When we left Tripoli, we headed first towards the south. From there we went to Algeria through the desert and from there we went to Egypt. My older brother Mohamed was killed during the fighting between the city of Tarhunah and Bani Walid.  He used to live in Italy before the revolution.”

It appears that the revolt against Qaddafi’s rule was not a complete surprise to Abdullah Senussi. His daughter told the Libya Herald: “About three or four years before the revolution, my father spoke with me and asked me to be strong and told me to expect the occurrence of such events. He said to me that the [political] position will not remain the same for ever and that the situation could change overnight. He told me that I should always be strong and be ready for this day.”

Of her experience in the jail, Senussi said: “The prison director is like a brother to me. But I hated him when I first came here, especially when I learnt that he was one of those who tried to kill my father during the Libyan revolution.”

Looking to her future Senussi said: “When I get out of prison, I will finish my studies in the field of law I will do all that I can to support my father and have him transferred to the International Criminal Court to stand trial. I will also contact international organisations to help my father. When he was arrested in Mauritania, I contacted one of the opposition TV stations and urged them to exert pressure on the government to release my father.” [/restrict]

Tags: exclusive interviewfeaturedLibyaUnood Senussi

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
A great Libyan-Italian concert at the Waddan

A great Libyan-Italian concert at the Waddan

Security: The state must impose its will – Zeidan

Security: The state must impose its will - Zeidan

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.