No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UK says its Tripoli embassy may be facing a terror attack

byNigel Ash
January 29, 2013
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
UK says its Tripoli embassy may be facing a terror attack

The Tripoli Towers where HSBC was located (Photo: Libya Herald).

By Hadi Fornaji

The Tripoli Towers, where the British embassy is housed

Tripoli, 28 January 2013:

The UK’s Foreign Office said this evening that it believed the British embassy in Tripoli may . . .[restrict]be facing a terror attack.

In a terse statement issued in London a spokesman said : “The Foreign office is aware of a potential threat to the British embassy and is liaising with the Libyan government. There is no change to our travel advice. We still recommend against all but essential travel to Tripoli.”

Even before last Thursday’s warning from the British government that all UK citizens should quit Benghazi and avoid Libya unless their journey was unavoidable, there had been strong rumours that an attack on some “high value” target was imminent in Tripoli in the run-up to the second anniversary of the 17 February Revolution. The speculation was that the attack would be aimed at a Western embassy or places frequented by foreigners, including hotels.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Business Fair to be held on 20 November in London

Universal Air starts direct flights between Malta and Tripoli

Last June, the former British ambassador Dominic Asquith was unharmed when his vehicle was attacked in Benghazi, although a member of his security detail was injured. Then came the murder of US ambassador Chris Stevens and three colleagues during the 11 September assault on the US consulate in Benghazi.  This event shocked the people of the city into widespread protests against militant Islamists, accused of the crime. Then earlier this month, there was an attempt the assassinate Guido de Sanctis, the Italian Consul-General in the city. As a result, the Italians closed their mission in Benghazi temporarily.

The British embassy is now housed in the prestigious Tripoli Towers. The Canadian embassy is also in the building, as is the Maltese government commercial office. Other tenants include airlines and top international firms including lawyers and accountants. [/restrict]

Tags: britishCanadaEMBASSYlondonMaltaterror attackTripoli TowersUK

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Senussi could be tried with Saif Al-Islam: government official

Two more Congressmen lose disbarment appeals

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.