No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“No one is above the law in the new free Libya”, says justice minister

bySami Zaptia
January 4, 2013
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 4 January:

Justice Minister Salah Maraghni stressed that in the new Libya “no one is above the law ” . . .[restrict]at the government’s end-of-week press conference on Thursday evening.

Maraghni went on to thank the Iraqi authorities’ for their moves towards signing a judicial cooperation agreement with Libya. The minister was referring to efforts to return Libyan prisoners in Iraq back to Libya and to commute death sentences passed on several Libyans to life imprisonment.

Most of the Libyan prisoners held by Baghdad  were arrested for taking up arms against government and coalition forces after the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba vows to impose justice, law and order – puts militias on notice

Continued, targeted arrests and subsequent sentencing of unprecedent thousands of criminals since 2011 created deterrence against crime: Attorney General

However, the justice minister admitted that his ministry and the new Libya face many challenges.  With regards the torture allegations made against official state security personnel after videos apparently showing mistreatment of prisoners emerged on the internet, Maraghni revealed that his government planned to put all detainees under government control.

He also said that his ministry has received much cooperation to this end from the thuwar, including those in Misrata.

Regarding transitional justice, the minister highlighted the fact that his department had submitted several proposals to the GNC for approval including the a bill on the criminalisation of torture and a law prohibiting the trial of civilians by a military court.

The justice minister confirmed earlier reports that Saif Al Islam Qaddafi and the last prime minister from the former regime, Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, will be put on trail as soon as questioning was completed. He said that he had discussed the matter with the prosecutor general, and suggested the trials could begin within a month. [/restrict]

Tags: Baghdadi Al-MahmoudiGNCIraqjudicialJusticelawProsecutor GeneralSaif Al-IslamSaif QaddafitortureTransitional Justice

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Minister of Economy Abufunas calls on companies to resume their stalled projects

Air Force chief disbarred by Intergrity Commission

Air Force chief disbarred by Intergrity Commission

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.