No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Iraq delays execution of Libyan

byMichel Cousins
April 28, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Muttaz Ali and Seraj Essul.

Tripoli, 28 April 2014:

The Libyan Embassy in Iraq has announced that announced that the . . .[restrict]execution Adel Juma Shaalali has again been postponed.

According to the embassy, the stay of execution was ordered by the Iraqi government on 22 April and was partly the result of its efforts and those of his lawyer.  

Shaalali, convicted on terrorism and murder charges, was originally due to have been hanged on 9 December 2012 but the Iraqi government stopped the execution the day beforehand following protests in Libya and an appeal from the Libyan government.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Since then another Libyan convicted of terrorism, Adel Al-Zuwai, has been hanged, on 7 November last year.  He was the third Libyan convicted of terrorism and murder to be executed in Iraq and one of five Libyans sentenced to death in Iraq.   

According to Sulaiman Fortia, the former head of the Libyan Political Prisoners Abroad and NTC member, there is no information as to why the Iraqis decided to halt the execution.  “There is no communication between the Iraqi and Libyan governments,” he told the Libya Herald. He pointed out, moreover, that this was a stay of execution, not an overturning of the death sentence. 

“We don’t fully trust the Iraqi government,” he said, making comparisons with the execution of Adel Al-Zuwai. “Right until the last moment the Iraqis were saying they were not going to execute him, but they did.”

He hoped the scenario would not be repeated but feared it would.

Shaalali, 39, left Libya during the Qaddafi period, he said, and was caught in Iraq after fall of Saddam Hussein, and accused of fighting against the US forces there and of being a terrorist.

It is not known if the murder last month of an Iraqi in Sirte and the kidnapping and alleged murder of an Iraqi professor in Derna last November are linked to the case of Shaalali and other Libyans held by the Iraqis. However, the recent kidnappings of the Jordanian ambassador and two members of staff at the Tunisian embassy in Tripoli are believed to be linked to attempts to free Libyan Islamists held in both countries.   [/restrict]

Tags: Adel ShaalaliIraqLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

One detained and another injured after Zintani brigade members stray into Algeria

Justice ministry sets up oil corruption committee

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.