No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New body to be in charge of police

byMichel Cousins
January 6, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 6 January:

A Supreme Police Council has been set up by the government. Part of the . . .[restrict]Ministry of the Interior,  the body will consist of 10 high-ranking police officers from all over Libya who will report direct to the minister. Their role is to oversee the police force throughout the country.

“It will supervise its operational methods and identify its needs in order to enhance its performance levels and in order to be able to carry out its assigned duties”, said Interior Ministry spokesman Magdi Al-Arafi . It would also advise the Interior Minister in general policy-making in regard to the police ”.  For example, the spokesman said, it would “include making plans for the development of training institutes”.

The creation of the council by the cabinet — its first decision of the year — is part of a restructuring of the Interior Ministry.  It is in the process of absorbing into the police large numbers of members of the Supreme Secuirty Committee (SSC) itself set up to absorb former revolutionary brigades and integrate then into civil society.  It is in the process of being disbanded.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli will be vacated of security and military services soon: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

While paying tribute last Thursday to the work done by the SSC in providing national security since its formation in October 2011, Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail noted that more than 5,000 SSC members had signed up to join the police during the previous ten days.

Figures show, however, that most of these are in the east of the country, with the largest single group from Beida, Shuwail’s home town.

Earlier, the Ministry had announced today that it was increasing the number of registration centres for members of the SSC looking to join the police from 25 to 37.

Shuwail’s comments followed widespread condemnation by political figures of the demonstration on New Years’ Day by a group of SSC members at the Congress building in which some Congress members were reportedly assaulted.

The protesters were opposed to the dissolution of the SSC as well as the fact that they had not been paid for some time.  However, the Interior Ministry has said that it would continue to pay wages to SSC members who had applied to join the police.

As a result, the winding up of the SSC is being seen as the real reason for the demonstration.  It is being claimed that those who took part had been manipulated by a handful of more senior individuals who see themselves unable to exert any power and influence in the more organised structures of the police force.

On Thursday, Shuwail said that strict measures would be taken against any armed groups that refused to be integrated into state institutions. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyapoliceShuwailSSC

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Al-Arusi meets Turkish energy minister

Serbia's Deputy Premier Rasim Ljajic

Serbian Deputy PM in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.