No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Militias told to quit Tripoli

byMichel Cousins
January 23, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 21 January 2013:

A series of meetings were held on Saturday and Sunday involving the leaders of the capital’s military councils . . .[restrict]as well as battalions and back-up and special security teams at Mitiga airbase. It is reported that they agreed to find solutions to concerns over law and order in the city and to respond strongly against anyone who tries to undermine its security, disrupt people’s work or close roads.

It is also reported that they further agreed that battalions from outside Tripoli must leave and that the Al-Qaaqaa battalion had three days to hand over a number of wanted men.

The meetings follow the killing of a man from Tripoli’s Zawiat Al-Dahmani district and complaints from the leader of Tripoli local council, Sadat Elbadri, about the activities of militias from outside the city. He went on television on Friday night to broadcast them.

The dead man, a well-known and respected former revolutionary who has been named as Tohamy Duaibi, was shot a fortnight ago. He and friends were staying out late on a farm by the Airport Road. He was shot in the abdomen when four armed men arrived at the property around midnight, ordered everyone to lie on the ground and he refused. He was rushed for treatment in Tunisia but died there last Friday. His funeral was held on Saturday.

RELATED POSTS

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

On the same day that he died, a protest against drug usage and dealers took place initially in Algeria Square, but later because of its size moved on to Martyrs’ Square. It had been approved by the authorities. However, a heavily armed security detachment from outside Tripoli unexpectedly installed itself outside the council building in Algeria Square in the mid afternoon saying it was there to “police” the event.  Insignia on its armoured vehicles proclaimed it to be the “Thunderbolt Battalion” from the Ministry of Defence.

Their presence angered locals who saw it as a provocation. Others were also angry because they believed the brigade to be linked to the men who killed Duaibi.

Elbadri told the Libya Herald that it and the killing of Duaibi, whom he called a good man, were a last straw. “I have been patient”, he said, but people had been complaining for days about the presence and activities of militias in the city and saying that something had to be done. His hope had been that these could be dealt with through patience.

Elbadri said that he phoned the head of Tripoli police, Mahmoud Sharif, and the Deputy Minister of Defence, Khalid Sharif, for an explanation of the battalion’s presence in the square. “They were surprised. They did not know anything about it.”

It has been alleged that the killers of Duaibi were members of the Qaaqah battalion.

One of the killers is reported to have been arrested but that the three others were still being sought. [/restrict]

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Zeidan to Davos for the World Economic Forum

How were GNC president and congressmen left behind in Kufra ?

How were GNC president and congressmen left behind in Kufra ?

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.