No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ex-Tripoli police chief blames government for capital’s security vacuum

byNigel Ash
November 10, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ex-Tripoli police chief blames government for capital’s security vacuum

Tripoli's ex-top cop Col Sharif, who once had to buy bullets for his men

By Umar Khan.

Tripoli's ex-top cop Col Sharif, who once had to buy bullets for his men
Tripoli’s ex-top cop Col Sharif, who once had to buy bullets for his men

Tripoli, 10 November 2013:

Tripoli’s former police chief, who once had to go out and buy bullets for his force’s . . .[restrict]weapons – on the black market – has blasted “the weak government “ and blamed slow official decision-making for the capital’s current security vacuum.

Colonel Mahmoud Sharif resigned last month from his post in protest at the lack of support from the Interior Ministry. Although a new police chief  has been nominated, the ministry has not yet accepted Sharif’s resignation.

“I sent a letter to all concerned officials explaining the situation and asking for immediate   support,”Sharif told the Libya Herald. “I made it clear that I could not work without authority and support from the government. My force was unable to do anything for the people. There was no backing from the Prime Minister nor the Interior Minister.?”

RELATED POSTS

Beida police commander seized from his home by gunmen

Saiqa’s Mahmoud Warfali forced to quit and charged with murder

He said: “Each time I had meetings with officials from Ministry and some deputy ministers  I would feel we are speaking a totally different language. If somebody has absolutely no idea or expertise in security, how can he bring change to the system? ”

Sharif insisted that the whole system needs immediate reforms to bring police forces throughout the country back into action.

“There is no proper structure of our police. It has been more than a year and nobody has had a vision or idea to make the required changes.”

Sharif questioned the seriousness of the interior ministry officials, because he maintained that  he was never contacted by any official after he formally sent his resignation.

“They never called me about the resignation. Although I was clear that I would not work without the proper legislation and support. But they didn’t even call me to discuss it. It’s been over a month now and there has been no response from the ministry.”

The lack of a central database and proper procedures mean that criminals are roaming free, said Sharif.

“There is no data sharing infrastructure. This means if somebody is wanted by Tripoli police he can be roaming free in Benghazi without their knowledge. There used to be 15 directorates covering all Libya . Now we have 45 and all the police chiefs report directly to the minister. There is no regional head. It cannot work like this.

“The whole system needs to be changed to have safe streets but it needs people that can take decisions,”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Col Mahmoud Sharif.TripoliLobyapolice chiefresignation

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Government decides on ten-day deadline for oil protestors

Italian navy arrests suspected people smugglers at sea

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.