No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mangoush looks to build “an army to protect the constitution, the nation and its citizens”

bySami Zaptia
January 5, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 5 January:

Introducing the Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush at Thursday’s press conference, Prime Minister Ali Zeidan opened by saying . . .[restrict]“I take this opportunity to salute members of the army who have resumed their work. I have given instructions that all personnel must return to work otherwise we will take all necessary steps. We don’t want to do this, but we will if we have to. Refusing to return to work is unacceptable”

Zeidan was referring to the thousands of security personnel from the army or police who are receiving their salaries but refuse to return to work after the end of the fighting and the revolution.

Mangoush said: “There was a conspiracy before the 17 February Revolution to destroy the army. It had no equipment, no basic supplies or training. It had its allegiance directed to a dictator and not a nation.

RELATED POSTS

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

1st Libya People Leadership in Energy Forum to be held in Tripoli from 9-10 February

“Now we are taking a number of steps to activate the army and reorganize it. We want an army to protect the constitution, the nation and its citizens based on democracy and legitimacy”.

Unveiling his vision for Libya’s new army, Mangoush said that Libya will have “a small army but with high specifications and using modern technology and well trained personnel capable to deal with any threats”.

Mangoush said that refurbishment of some barracks and military installations had already started in line with his new plans. He admitted that the army had to work with what it had as a result of the destruction of sites and equipment during the revolution.

He admitted that Libya needed help from friendly countries training its armed forces, saying about 3,000 men have been sent for training abroad so far.

“We have presented our proposals to the General National Congress (GNC) Committee to present our needs and to ask that a White Paper be prepared by the end of this month. We need certain quantities of jets, helicopters and naval units to ensure our defences. After 15 months all sites should have been refurbished and there is also a plan for the airports,” Mangoush explained.

“The revolutionaries will be the building block of the army. There is a lot of work to be done and we face many challenges. Our aim has been set and our plan is in place,” Mangoush concluded. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali Zeidanarmychief of staffconstitutiondemocracyequipmentFebruary 17 RevolutionGNChelicoptersjetslegitimacyLibyanavalpolicepress conferencePrime MinisterrevolutiontrainingTripoliYousef Mangoush

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Federalism on the rise in Benghazi

Federalism on the rise in Benghazi

Police unveil new design for patrol cars

Police unveil new design for patrol cars

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.