No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Save Benghazi organiser narrowly escapes assassination attempt, brother-in-law killed

byGeorge Grant
December 4, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Save Benghazi organiser narrowly escapes assassination attempt, brother-in-law killed

Naji Hamad is a serving police officer and organiser of the Save Benghazi Friday demonstration on 21 September. (Photo:

By George Grant.

Naji Hamad is a serving police officer and organiser of the Save Benghazi Friday demonstration on 21 September. (Photo: Mohamed Jaauoda)

Tripoli, 3 December:

Assassins narrowly failed in an attempt to murder the organiser of the Save Benghazi Friday protest this . . .[restrict]morning, killing his young brother-in-law instead.

Naji Hamad was the driving force behind the enormous anti-militia demonstration that swept through Benghazi on 21 September in the wake of the fatal attack on the American consulate in Benghazi that killed US Ambassador to Libya Christpher Stevens and three of his staff ten days earlier.

“He was walking out of his home this morning when a group of men opened fire”, said Bilal Bettamir, another of the Save Benghazi organisers. “They hit his brother-in-law Anees Al-Jahani and he died. He was only 19 or 20 years old. He was an artist and he was innocent”.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Bettamir says that Hamad had received a number of death threats in the past few months on account of his active and high-profile campaigning against militia rule in the eastern city.

A serving police officer who now teaches at the Benghazi Police Academy, Hamad nevertheless did not employ bodyguards in the wake of the threats, and Bettamir believes that today’s failed assassination will not be the end of the story.

“After Naji, I am next in line for another assassination. I was his partner in organising save Benghazi Friday. He has been my teacher and mentor for the past five years.”

Over the past year, Benghazi has witnessed a spate of assassinations and failed attempts against senior members of the security services, the vast majority of whom served in some capacity under the former regime.

Eighteen officers have been killed in this manner so far this year, with the most recent being the city’s police chief Faraj Drissi on 21 November. Many now believe that these killings are part of an organised campaign of targeted assassination perpetrated by Islamist militants in the city.

Although today’s failed assassination against Hamad is reckoned to have had more to do with his involvement in the Save Benghazi demonstration – he was a traffic officer before the revolution – it nevertheless highlights the dangers of challenging militia rule in the cradle of last year’s uprising.

Anywhere between 30,000-40,000 people came onto the streets for the 21 September demonstration, an unprecedented show of public force against the city’s militias. Later that evening, protesters stormed and briefly occupied the compounds of three Islamist brigades, Rafah Al-Sahati, the 17 February Brigade and the Ansar Al-Shariah brigade.

Members of Ansar Al-Shariah are reckoned to have been primarily responsible for the US Consulate attack, and the militia was disbanded shortly after the incident, although its members have not been disarmed. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedIslamistsLibyaNaji HamadSave Benghazi Friday

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Zeidan visits Tobruk as part of government and GNC charm offensive in eastern Libya

Zeidan visits Tobruk as part of government and GNC charm offensive in eastern Libya

Advanced talks to sign Légion d’honneur recipient Alain Giresse as new head coach of the Libyan football team

Advanced talks to sign Légion d’honneur recipient Alain Giresse as new head coach of the Libyan football team

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.