No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Qaddafi memorial event in London flops

byNigel Ash
January 10, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Qaddafi memorial event in London flops

London's Conway Hall, venue for the pro- Qaddafi meeting

 

By Tom Westcott.

London’s Conway Hall, venue for the pro- Qaddafi meeting (photo: Tom Westcott)

London, 4 November 2012:

A Qaddafi  commemorative event in the UK’s capital last night flopped, attracting only 20 people, seven of whom . . .[restrict]were speakers.

Despite over 185 people publicly confirming, via Facebook, that they would attend the event, according to a member of staff at the venue, only around 20 people actually turned up.

RELATED POSTS

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

A  room at London’s Conway Hall had been booked for a ‘Libyan Cultural Group’ function. The staff member said she was “very surprised” to discover on the day that it was actually a memorial event to the dead dictator.

The commemorative gathering was to glorify Qaddafi and his “contribution to the world struggle against white supremacy.” The programme was to consist of video footage from Qaddafi’s speeches and interviews, as well as celebratory music and spoken word. Among the speakers was a man identified only as “a Libyan from Sirte.” The free event was widely-advertised on the internet and, through the event’s Facebook page alone, over four thousand people were invited.

A man in traditional Libyan dress was seen coming out of the building a number of times and looking up and down the street, as if he expected more people. All that could be heard in the empty London square was the sound of distant traffic and autumn leaves blowing across the pavement.

Once the event started, through the closed doors a modest patter of applause could be heard after a reggae-style track with a chorus of “Qaddafi” was played.

Organisers of the event obviously anticipated protests, as their advertising stated: “This is a private event and will have security, any disruption to this event is unwelcome.” There was, however, no sign of anybody wishing to disrupt the tiny gathering.

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Saadi’s Canadian property claimed by government

Saadi’s Canadian property claimed by government

Locals reported killed in central Tripoli gun battle with rogue SSC brigade

Locals reported killed in central Tripoli gun battle with rogue SSC brigade

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.