No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saif would be hanged if tried in Libya, says his ICC defence counsel

byNigel Ash
October 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 11 October:

Qaddafi’s defence counsel, Melinda Taylor in court Wednesday

In the first hearing at the International Criminal Court (ICC) on where Saif al-Islam Qaddafi should be tried for . . .[restrict]crimes against humanity, his defence lawyer said that if tried in Libya, he would receive a death sentence without a fair trial.

“Although the Libyan government has danced around the issue, let’s be very clear” said Melinda Taylor, “ if convicted Mr. Qaddafi will be hanged.”

The Libyan authorities are determined that Qaddafi should stand trial here. They have been working on establishing clear judicial procedures for the case, in an effort to convince the ICC and the international community that they are ready and able to hold a fair trial. A special court room was completed three months ago.

Lawyer Ahmed Al-Jehani, representing Libya, told the two-day pre-trial hearing, which ended yesterday, that putting Qaddafi on trial inside the country would provide a “unique opportunity for national reconciliation.” He also called for patience and said that the Libyan authorities “needed time” to organise a fair trial.

RELATED POSTS

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Taylor, however, argued that Saif was not a “guinea pig” for Libya’s new judicial systems. “He is a person with rights. He should not be languishing in prison while Libya tries to build a judicial system,” she said.

Taylor also insisted that the motives for holding the trial in Libya were suspect. “This trial is not motivated by a desire for justice but a desire for revenge, and there is no right to revenge under international law,” she said.

The British barrister representing Libya, Philippe Sands, argued: “There is a wide range of evidence that will constitute an indictment the same as that presented by the ICC’s prosecutor.” The ICC prosecutor’s office actually said that Libya’s investigation covered more allegations than the ICC, according to Reuters.

This hearing is part of the ICC’s investigation into human rights abuses by the Qaddafi regime during the revolution. The UN Security Council restricted the ICC’s jurisdiction to events after 15 February 2011, meaning that any crimes against humanity Saif Qaddafi may have committed previously will not be taken into account. If tried by the ICC in the Netherlands, the maximum sentence Saif could face is life imprisonment.

Saif continues to be held in the mountain town of Zintan by militiamen who have consistently refused to hand him over to the Libyan authorities. Whatever the ICC decides, the Zintanis are unlikely to release their prisoner.

According to ICC documentation, Saif has voiced concerns about receiving a fair trial in his home country, saying evidence for the prosecution might have been extracted under torture. “I am not afraid to die but if you execute me after such a trial you should just call it murder and be done with it,” he told his lawyers.

Australian Melinda Taylor, along with three other members of her ICC team, was detained for 26 days by Zintan militiamen after she visited her client in the town on 7 June this year. Taylor was accused of spying.

She was only set free after ICC president Sang-Hyun Song travelled to Zintan and issued a carefully-phrased apology, saying:

“I wish to apologise for the difficulties which arose due to this series of events. In carrying out its duties (the ICC) has no intention to compromise the national security of Libya.

The ICC judges are expected to take some weeks before delivering their findings. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Libya’s first electronic library

Libya’s first electronic library

Every family to receive 1,000 dinars for Eid

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.