No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Juma El-Gamaty kidnapped and threatened by Qaaqaa brigade

byMichel Cousins
January 22, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

Juma El-Gamaty has accused the Qaaqaa brigade of being behind the abduction. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 7 October:

One of Libya’s most prominent political figures was kidnapped yesterday by a renegade militia operating in the . . .[restrict]west of Tripoli.

Juma El-Gamaty, who leads the Taghyeer Party, was dragged from his car at gunpoint in Hay Al-Andalous by a gang of assailants from the Qaaqaa brigade, having left for home together with colleague, Husni Al-Agil, at around 23:00.

The brigade, which hails from Zintan but also operates in Tripoli, is said to be renowned for criminal activity and has made several unauthorised arrests in the past.

RELATED POSTS

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

“We were on our way home and found ourselves surrounded by five cars full of armed people wearing civilian clothes”, Gamaty told reporters today.

“They dragged us out of the car, put me in the back of a van and put my friend in another car. They blindfolded me, took my mobile phones and drove me to what looked like a farm or some sort of headquarters”.

Brandishing the cloth used to blindfold him, Gematy recalled how he was struck on the head by his kidnappers and driven from location to location before being dropped in a field on the outskirts of the capital.

Before leaving him, Gematy said his kidnappers warned him that he had got off lightly and that next time would be far worse.

“I found myself at sort of farm in the darkness”, he said. “I saw lights about 300 yards away and walked towards them until I reached a road where two men who were driving past saw me and offered to help.

“I asked them where I was and they told me I was in Sidi Salim, very close to the airport road. I asked them to take me to the nearest checkpoint, and it was there that I realised that the news of my kidnapping was out and everybody knew what had happened”.

He was then told that one of the kidnappers had already been arrested and was being held at Tripoli’s Metiga airbase. “Sure enough when we got there we identified him as one of the kidnappers. In front of us he admitted that this whole operation was organised by a man called Al-Harezi from the Qaaqaa brigade in west Tripoli.”

Speaking to the press today, Sunday, El-Gamaty said he was very grateful to be alive and see his family again but he was not going to be scared into silence. He was more determined than ever to expose those militias who had descended into crime. “As the people of Libya, we have to take these people on” he said if the country is to have institutions, a constitution and the rule of law.

“If we don’t then our government will be in big jeopardy.”

He had been targeted, he said, because two weeks ago he appeared on TV condemning them and, as result, people had demonstrated demanding they be disbanded. “They are angry I talked loudly. They wanted to scare and silence me.”

Libya’s is in danger if such criminals are not cracked down on hard, El-Gamaty said. “We’re at a crossroads.” Either strong arm tactics are used and the militias are disbanded and their members forced to join the army or “the transition to democracy will be in great danger”.

Rejecting any suggestion that Mahmoud Jibril was involved in the assault, he said the only people responsible was those involved in the kidnapping. “I hold them responsible and I demand the government and security institutions bring them to justice as soon as possible.”

According to his colleague, Husni Al-Agil, the incident had an element of farcical chaos about it. After being seized, he tried to fight with assailants. He then managed to open the car door and get away. “The kidnappers, confused, actually reversed their car into another vehicle.” [/restrict]

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Egypt evacuates citizens from Bani Walid

Congress dismisses Abushagur

Congress dismisses Abushagur

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.