No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya leases jumbos to transport Ramadan pilgrims to Mecca.

byMichel Cousins
July 24, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 24 July:

Two wide-bodied aircraft, each with a capacity of 500 passengers, are being leased by Afriqiyah Aviation . . .[restrict]Holding Company to meet the surge in demand from Libyan pilgrims wanting to perform Umrah in Mecca during Ramadan.

Afriqiyah Aviation is the parent company of Libyan Airlines and Afriqiyah Airways. Both are scheduled to be merged shortly.

According to the undersecretary at the Ministry of Transport, Fawzi Bitamer, the two aircraft are expected to arrive in the next day or two. They would, he said, handle all outstanding Umrah pilgrim requirements as well as fly home any Libyans who had already performed Umrah but who faced the possibility of being stranded in Saudi Arabia.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Bitamer said the move was necessitated in part because the Saudi embassy in Tripoli had approved a record number of Umrah visas for Libyans during Ramadan.

For Muslims, the performance of Umrah in Ramadan is equivalent in merit to performing Haj.

Noting that Libyan Airlines and Afriqiyah Airways are currently running daily flights to Jeddah for pilgrims, Bitamer explained that arrangements had been made about a month before Ramadan with the two airlines to try and avoid problems. Unfortunately, not enough Libyan aircraft were available. There were also problems as a result of the Qaddafi era, he said.  These had included sanctions and poor international maintenance standards.

He revealed that an Afriqiyah Airways Airbus 330 has been prepared for Umrah flights and was due to take fly to Jeddah with pilgrims last Tuesday. But it had been hit by a bullet fired by an unknown gunman and rendered unusable until repaired.

On the issue of a number of the suspension of a number of Afriqiyah Airways flights to African destinations, Bitamer said the routes were commercially unprofitable at present. Most of them depended on transit passengers coming from Europe, he said. However, for the moment, most European airlines were not operating into Libya. The carrier was therefore reconsidering its route strategy. Flights to Sudan, Ghana, Niger, Chad and other places might return once the situation was more assured but they would be evaluated as to cost effectiveness and profitability.

In fact one of the reasons for the lack of transit passengers from Europe is that Libyan aircraft are still banned from flying to EU airports because of issues about maintenance documentation and personnel certification.  These are not expected to be resolved until November at the earliest.

 

 


[/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tunisia-Libya border again closed

Libyan lawyers condemn attacks against Tawerghans

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.