No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libyan diplomat flees Bangladesh in alleged $13 million visa scam

byNigel Ash
July 6, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Rahman Jahangir.

Dhaka, 30 June:

A middle-ranking Libyan diplomat in Bangladesh is reported to have absconded with up to $13 million of . . .[restrict]visa payments made by Bangladeshis seeking jobs in Libya.

Kamel Al-Mahjoub, the chargé d’affaires at the embassy in Dhaka, is also alleged to have operated a scam selling invalid visas. Up to 400 Bangladeshis have been turned away by Libyan immigration authorities in recent months, because of supposedly fake documents.

ATN Bangla, a private Bangladeshi television channel which reported the story, said that a high-level Libyan team was due to arrive in the Bangladeshi capital to investigate the matter.

RELATED POSTS

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Mahjoub had been in charge of the embassy for over a year. The previous mission head, Ahmed Atia Hamad Al-Iman, resigned from his post in protest against Qaddafi treatment of Libyan civilians, five days after the start of the revolution, and has not yet been replaced.  Bangladesh authorities are blaming the visa issue on the lack of an ambassador.

Frantic Bangladeshi workers at the Tunisian border last year. With acknowledgements to Reuters

A journalist for ATN Bangla, Keramot Ullah Biplob, told Libya Herald that Mahjoub had allegedly been charging $500 per visa application but that when the visas were issued, many carried the same visa number, rendering them invalid. Ten thousand visas had actually been issued and a further six thousand stamped passports were currently waiting, undelivered, at the Libyan embassy. It is not clear if these travel documents also all carry the same number.

The allegations have been supported by Dr Zafar Ahmed Khan, secretary of Bangladesh’s Welfare and Overseas Employment Ministry, who added that he hoped the matter would be exposed when a new Libyan Ambassador arrived in Dhaka. There have been reports that local recruiting agencies may have been involved in the alleged racket.

Biplob said of the thousands of his countrymen waiting to return to jobs or seeking work in Libya for the first time: “ They are very good, very friendly, all Muslim, all hard workers.”

Around 30,000 Bangladeshis were working in Libya, but the majority fled the fighting early between February and April 2011.

It was not clear last night how the Libyan immigration authorities were going to handle the issue and whether Bangladeshis who had paid foreign currency for visas in good faith, would be issued proper travel and work documents.

The Libyan Foreign Ministry spokesman, Saad Elshlmani, said last night that a team of investigators was about to leave for Dhaka to look into the allegations. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Why women? Why now? Engaging and Promoting Libyan Women

‘Your right to elect and our duty to secure this right’ – Ministry of Interior

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.