No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Sanussi holds key to Yvonne Fletcher death, says El-Kib

byGeorge Grant
May 26, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Al-Sanussi holds key to Yvonne Fletcher death, says El-Kib

Abdullah Al-Senussi, Qaddafi's former intelligence chief

Al-Sanussi holds key to Yvonne Fletcher death, says PM El-Kib

London, 26 May: 

Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Kib has alleged that Abduallah Al-Senussi, Qaddafi’s . . .[restrict]brother-in-law and former head of intelligence, was “directly or indirectly involved” in the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher, and knew the identity of her killer.

Abdullah Al-Senussi, Qaddafi's former intelligence chief

Speaking during an interview with the UK’s Guardian newspaper, El-Kib said of Al-Senussi, “I guarantee he was almost directly or indirectly involved in most if not all of the crimes [of the former regime]. That doesn’t mean others weren’t involved. But he definitely knows who they were.”

When asked if he believed WPC Fletcher’s killer to still be alive and in Libya, El-Kib responded, “I leave this to the investigation”.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Al-Senussi is currently being held in Mauritania, having fled there from Morocco in March this year. The government in Nouakchott is currently considering a request by the Libyan government for his extradition.

Al-Senussi is wanted by a number of jurisdictions for alleged crimes committed over several decades.

In addition to the Yvonne Fletcher case, the British government wants to question Al-Senussi in relation to the 1988 Lockerbie bombing, in which 270 people died.

The French government, meanwhile, want him in for his role in the bombing of a French passenger plane over Chad in 1989, which killed all 171 people on board. He was convicted of this crime in-absentia by a French court in 1999.

In Libya, Al-Senussi is wanted on numerous charges of murder and human rights abuses, perhaps most infamously the 1996 Abu Salim prison massacre, in which more than 1,200 inmates died.

He is also wanted by both the government and the International Criminal Court (ICC) in relation to his involvement in attempting to suppress last year’s pro-democracy uprising.

It is widely believed that new light will be shed on a number of these cases should Al-Senussi be eventually apprehended and tried.

El-Kib has insisted that Al-Senussi will have his day in court: “This person needs to be tried in Libya soon so we can close the books on many of the crimes committed by the past regime”, he said. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Palestinians in Benghazi to get subsidised food

Federalists trying to impose their will by force

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.