No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Boy found dead in Kufra, ceasefire holds

byMichel Cousins
April 26, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Benghazi, April 26:

A young boy was found dead on his family farm in Kufra yesterday, Wednesday.  It is not known who . . .[restrict]killed him or whether his death is related to the fresh violence that broke out in the town between Friday and Tuesday.

A ceasefire is said to be holding. However, according to an army source, the number of dead in Kufra is now put at 11.  These include two members of the 200-strong Libya Shield Brigade which, under army control, has been trying to keep the peace in Kufra. The two were killed on Friday when Tebu gunmen attacked the army.  In addition, the source said that six Libyan Tebus were killed along with three Libyan Arabs. (The source pointedly made a difference between Libyan Tebus and Chadian Tebus, whom he claimed were also in Kufra.)

The three civilians were two men and a young girl. The two men were said to have been cousins who were evacuating their family.  It is not known if they were killed by Tebu fire or in crossfire.

The number of those in the Sheild Brigade who were injured in the clashes is put at 30 people.  The source did not know how many Tebus had been injured.  Libya Herald has tried to contact a Tebu spokesman in the town but his phone has not been working for two days. The last time he was spoken to, he said that 14 of his people had been injured, two seriously, but that they had been airlifted to Tripoli for medical attention.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

The Libya Shield Brigade, all of whose members are from Benghazi, is seen as well disciplined unit.  It saw service as far away as Sirte during the revolution.

The cause for last weekend’s clashes was said at the time to have been the discovery of a slain Tebu in a Kufra street.  Tebus blamed the Libya Shield forces and attacked them. However, the army source says that attack was the result of a split within Tebu ranks.  He claimed that at Friday prayers a Tebu imam had called on Tebus to start negotiations with the rest of the Kufra community.  Tebus, the imam is reported to have said, were getting tired of the situation, wanted peace and needed their children to be educated. “We must start serious talks,” he was quoted as saying.

According to the source, Tebu leader Isa Abdul Majid did not like this and sent his heavily armed forces to attack brigade members that evening.

The source also said that members of Kufra’s majority Zway tribe who were involved in clashes with the Tebus in February had offered to help attack the Tebus but that the brigade had refused the offer.

An arrest warrant has meanwhile been issued for Abdul Majid who is reported to have fled across the border into Chad.  However, Libya Herald has been told by other sources in Kufra that he is in hiding in the town.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Planning Minister meets US business delegation

‘Libya seeking development in all sectors’ - Abushagur

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.