Tripoli, March 30: The NTC says it not received the resignation of Abdel-Majid Seif Al-Nasr, its Sebha representative.
“He announced his resignation . . .[restrict]on TV but he has not submitted anything to us,” Mohammed Al-Hareizi told Libya Herald on Friday evening.
Frustrated of the clashes in his hometown and the government’s inability to control the situation, Al-Nasr, announced his resignation on Tuesday. He was quoted by Associated Press saying that it was “a political move to push the NTC to take decisive action in Sabha.”
He had been asked to go to Sebha by the NTC to help negotiate a peace deal to end the fighting between the Tebus and the Abu Seif tribe backed by other Sebha locals and government forces.
The latest ceasefire in the city is holding according to Al-Hareizi but he said that shooting had broken out on the road to Awbari.
Meanwhile on Friday, Issa Abdul Majid Mansur, head of the Tebu forces, called for international intervention to stop what he called the “ethnic cleansing” of his people in Sebha and elsewhere in Libya.
“We demand that the United Nations and European Union intervene to stop the ethnic cleansing of the Tebu,” said Mansur.
Also confirming that fighting was continuing on Friday and that a number of Tebus had been killed, he accused Arab tribes in Sabha of sabotaging a power station and cutting off the electricity supply to the area south of Sebha including the Tebu strongholds of Qatrun and Murzuq.
The attack on the station was acknowledged on Libya Al-Ahrar TV by Mohammed al-Sawal, the national security chief in Sebha.
According to Ridha Issa, a mediator, the latest fighting is taking place in Ghadduwah, on the road to Murzuq. [/restrict]