No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Clashes in Benghazi over federalism

byMichel Cousins
March 17, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Benghazi, March 16: A number of people were wounded in clashes in Benghazi on Friday between supporters and opponents of federalism.  . . .[restrict]There were reports from Benghazi Medical Center that one man hand been killed in the fighting which involved guns as well as knives. However, others denied it saying the fatality was the result of a car accident.

The chairman of the Supreme Security Committee of Benghazi, Fawzi Wanis, has been quoted by AFP as saying that no one had died, but that two people had suffered gunshot wounds and three others had been knifed.

The fighting started when hundreds of people staged a demonstration supporting a three-state federal Libya in line with the 1951 constitution.   They had gone to Freedom Square following Friday prayers to hear Ahmed Zubair Senussi make a speech on the issue.

Ahmed Zubair was elected head of the Cyrenaica Transitional Council which was launched at a conference on federalism in Benghazi on March 6.

According to Wanis, “matters were brought under control and the clashes between the two sides are over”.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Calling for calm, the Mukhtar Al-Jadal of the NTC, said that the violence did not represent the position of the council.

The creation of the Cyrenaica body, which many see as a first step towards the break-up of Libya, has caused fury across the country.  There have been mass protests in Tripoli and Benghazi as well as in other towns against it and the idea of a federal Libya.

The NTC and the government have taken a determined stand against it on the basis the NTC is the only legal authority in Libya. At one point NTC leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil threatened to use force against the Cyrenaica council and its officers, but it was then explained that he meant using the force of law and the courts.

The move by the federalists, however, is seen to have had a silver lining for the NTC. It is said to have rallied support for it and government and helped it in last week’s conference in Misrata to force the various brigades to agree to hand over ports, aiports, border posts and checkpoints and return to their home towns.

It is now being claimed that last Friday’s fire at the Egyptian Market in Benghazi which killed one person was started as a protest against federalism. The cost of the fire is put at over LD 50 million.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libyan photographer shot dead in Sirte

Abdullah Senussi arrested in Mauritania

Abdullah Senussi arrested in Mauritania

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.