No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Oil production at “virtual standstill” says Energy Committee

bythomwestcott
September 3, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

The GNC Energy Committee met yesterday to discuss the country’s plummeting oil production (Photo: Energy Committee Facebook Page)

Tripoli, 3 September 2013:

Armed strikes at Libya’s oil fields and export terminals have brought crude oil production in the . . .[restrict]country to a virtual standstill, according to the Energy Committee of the General National Congress (GNC).

The committee confirmed, in an official statement released after a meeting yesterday, that the decline in production caused by closure of the oil facilities was now hurtling towards zero.

One employee of a major oil firm, however, told the Libya Herald that production was actually down to 60,000 barrels per day (b/d). He added that this was equivalent of zero, because it was not enough to fulfil even local demand.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

Aldabaiba forms technical committee to examine controversial NC7 Hamada oil deal – must report by 30 January

The committee said that, among the political and economic consequences of the closure of the oil facilities, there would be substantial material losses for the Libyan state. The strikes had caused an imbalance in the budget, he said, which was calculated on the basis that oil production is 1.5 million with the market value of at least $90 per barrel. This has caused disruption across ministries, the committee said.

Losses have been estimated at $3 billion so far.

“The biggest damage resulting from the closure of oil facilities is the reduction in the production of oil and gas, which has caused a deficit in the general budget of the Libyan state,” Energy Committee member Fawzia Karawan told the Libya Herald.

She added that the strikes would “delay development projects of all types” and that Libya would lose respect with oil and gas clients. This, she said, would be reflected in future contracts and current fines for failing to fulfil contracts.

According to a report received by the committee from the deputy governor of the Central Bank of Libya, Karawan said, the continued closure of ports would cause a large fiscal deficit. The state could find itself unable to provide food, medicine, electricity and salaries by 2014, she said.

The Energy Committee said that the protests have also put a stop to petrol imports from abroad, which fulfil 70 percent of the country’s petrol needs. Interruptions to fuel supplies continue to cause nationwide power cuts. [/restrict]

Tags: energy committeeGNCLibyaoiloil exportoil production

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

GNC to form Crisis Committee to deal with oil disruption

Zawia refinery reopens, spokesman says no need to panic about petrol

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.