No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council say charges too serious for Saif to be pardoned

byNigel Ash
July 11, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

rp_Saif-Qaddafi-in-court-at-Zintan-300x217.jpg
Saif Al-Islam in a Zintan court (File photo)

Tripoli and Tunis, 10 July 2016:

The Presidency Council has weighed into the alleged release of Saif Al-Islam warning that he remains subject to Libyan and international claims that he committed crimes against humanity. In a statement issued today, the PC said that there could be no amnesty for such accusations.

“These charges do not lapse with the passage of time”, it said, “and are not subject to general or specific pardons, as per international conventions and international law dealing with human rights”.

It is being claimed that the Ministry of Justice in Beida issued a pardon, though the provenance of the document has been questioned. There has been no formal comment from the government of Abdullah Al-Thinni.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Court of Appeal issues two rulings stipulating that it does not have jurisdiction to hear appeals against decrees issued by Presidency Council

All recently clashing state and militia forces and their military vehicles will return to their barracks as of yesterday evening

Al-Ajmal Al-Atiri, commander of Zintan’s Abubakr Al-Siddiq battalion has insisted that Saif has been freed but refuses to say where he is “for security reasons”. A British lawyer Karim Khan, who has represented Qaddafi’s second son and heir apparent, has also said that Saif is indeed free.

But the Zintan municipal council has flatly denied the claim.  There have been unconfirmed reports that this week there has been a confrontation between Atiri’s militia and other Zintani forces. An Italian reporter claimed this April that he had been told by townsfolk that Saif lived under comfortable house arrest, had taken a wife and had a three year old daughter.

The PC said that it found Atiri’s statement very strange and irresponsible. It rejected the idea that anyone accused of such crimes, whether under the former regime or since the Revolution, could “escape punishment”.

The PC made no reference to the guilty verdicts and death sentences passed down to Saif and seven other Qaddafi regime figures in Tripoli in July last year.

It suggested that if Saif had been freed, then it might have been for personal gain. Such an act, it said,  destroyed the rights of victims seeking justice.

The PC added that it valued Zintan council’s statement denying that Saif was at liberty. It said that his case was an issue of Libyan sovereignty. The GNA would give it its full attention, to ensure that criminals did not escape justice.

The PC also said that it was ready to cooperate with international organisations, especially the International Criminal Court, in so far as international conventions did not conflict with Libya laws.

If Atiri has in fact liberated Saif, then he has thrown down a direct challenge to the ICC and its chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda. This May she was threatening him with reprisals if he did not hand over Saif to the court in the Hague.

There remains however incredulity about the release. One foreign diplomat who has been following the case said that all his information was that Saif was still being held. Another told this newspaper that the reports did not make sense. “Where could he go, unless he wants to somehow get himself into the hands of the ICC?  If they found him guilty, he would only get jail, not a firing squad”.

 

Tags: Al-AtiriBensoudafeaturedICCLibyaPresidency CouncilSaifZintan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Sirte’s Gulf power station recommences production

Heavy fighting continues in central Sirte as Bunyan Marsous close in IS at Ouagadougou Centre

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.