No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Security Council authorises EU naval operation in Mediterranean to stop vessels carrying illegal weapons

byMichel Cousins
June 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

The UN Security Council meeting on the situation in Libya.
The UN Security Council voted to allow the EU’s Operation Sophia to stop weapons getting into Libya by sea (Photo: UN)

Tunis, 14 June 2016:

Following yesterday’s decision by the United Nations Security Council to extend the mandate of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), it voted today to allow the EU’s joint naval Operation Sophia to stop and search vessels in the Mediterranean suspected of transporting illegal weapons.

The vote on the British-drafted motion was unanimous.

Until now Operation Sophia vessels were limited by the UN to stopping and seizing boats involved in people-smuggling. Under this expansion of Operation Sophia’s role, its ships are now empowered to halt the flow of illegal weapons on the high seas off Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Libya will not bear burdens of illegal immigration alone or be settlement area: Interior Minister Trabelsi

Euro Film Festival will be held in Tripoli from 24 to 28 November

In the aftermath of the 2011 revolution, large amounts of weapons from Libya flowed out of the country. More recently, the flow has been the other way around, with weapons and ammunition arriving in Libya and stoking the violence in the country. The resolution drew attention to this, noting that “arms and related materiel are being used by terrorist groups operating in Libya, including ISIL (the Islamic State).”

Last week, UN Special Envoy Martin Kobler told the Security Council that there were around 20 million assorted pieces of weaponry in the country.

“These weapons do not fall from the sky, but come increasingly through illegal shipments by sea and by land. The arms fuel the conflict. These shipments must end if there is any serious hope of bringing peace to Libya,” he said.

The Security Council’s current president, French Ambassador Francois Delattre, said Resolution 2292 had “the potential to be a game-changer.”

Finally, he said, the international community would have the means to enforce the arms embargo in Libya. “In doing so, we will be better equipped to fight against” the Islamic State.

The resolution has been welcomed by Federica Mogherini, the EU’s foreign policy chief, who said that as of now, Operation Sophia would now be able to play an important role in implementing the UN arms embargo on Libya.

Last month EU foreign minister committed themselves to the expansion of Operation Sophia. They will again meet in Brussels next Monday to agree the final changes.

 

Tags: EUfeaturedLibyaOperation SophiaUN

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
HoR fails to meet Tuesday, holds informal social gathering in search of agreement

HoR fails to meet Tuesday, holds informal social gathering in search of agreement

League of Ulema hails defeat of IS, accuses Ghariani of promoting civil war in Libya and responsibility for Tripoli slayings of 12 Qaddafi soldiers

League of Ulema hails defeat of IS, accuses Ghariani of promoting civil war in Libya and responsibility for Tripoli slayings of 12 Qaddafi soldiers

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.