No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Italian PM says he fought pressure for Libyan military action

byNigel Ash
May 2, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Matteo Renzi, "No 5,000 troops while he is PM" (File photo)
Italian PM Matteo Renzi under pressure File photo)

Tunis, 2 May 2016:

Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi has said that his government had resisted military involvement in . . .[restrict]Libya after coming under pressure from sources which he did not name.

“For months there was pressure, some would say lobbying” Renzi said today in Florence adding, according to the Italian news agency ANSAMed, “ Now it is fashionable to say ‘Go, intervene, send in the planes, send 5,000 people to Libya”.

He insisted however that his government had chosen a different strategy. Italy already had troops in Afghanistan and the Iraqi city of Mosul. They were there, he said, to save lives and he was grateful to them.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

The Italian government has at times appeared divided on military intervention, with Renzi’s January, as it became clear that the prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj’s Government of National Accord  would not receive the imminent endorsement of  the House of Representatives Pinotti said that the international community might have to attack IS forces in Libya, without a formal invitation from the Libyan government  in waiting.

However last month, Renzi denied rumours that Italy was about to commit 5,000 troops to Libya, saying it would never happen as long as he was prime minister.

Though Renzi did not spell out the source of the pressure and lobbying, it seems likely that the Americans will have been involved. Washington has been trying to get the Europeans to take the lead in Libya. But politicians, particularly the British and French have been blowing hot and cold over military intervention. In addition, commanders are reportedly leery of ill-defined missions.

The one clear commitments have been to train Libyan police and army.  Until now however, the only training that has been taking place has been of two Tunisian mechanised units. A small contingent of British troops has been advising these soldiers on patrolling and monitoring the border with Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: britishfeaturedISItalyLibyapressureRenziSerrajTunisia

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Minorities group wants discrimination criminalised

Minorities group wants discrimination criminalised

Ukrainian medics escape Sirte: report

Ukrainian medics escape Sirte: report

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.