No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghwell government spokesman briefly detained

byNigel Ash
January 3, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ghwell government spokesman briefly detained

Foreign media spokesman Jamal Zubia still missing (Photo: FMD)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Ghwell foreign media spokesman Jamal Zubia (Photo: FMD)
Ghwell’s foreign media spokesman Jamal Zubia (Photo: FMD)

Tripoli and Tunis, 2 January 2016:

Ghwell government foreign media spokesman Jamal Zubia was arrested last night shortly after . . .[restrict]he broke up a Mitiga airport press conference being held by UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler.

Some reports had Zubia being picked up by militiamen from Abdel Raouf Kara’s Rada organisation and being taken to its Mitiga compound.

Zubia himself however told the Libya Herald that he was not detained by Kara but rather he was investigated by the airport security forces. “They wanted to understand why I stopped the press conference and what I said to him [Kobler] as it was in English”.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

Zubia explained to this newspaper his intervention in Kobler’s press briefing before the UNSMIL boss boarded the UN plane to return to Tunis: “Actually I didn’t stop it but told Mr Kobler that he was breaching the law when holding a press conference without permission of the Foreign Media Department … I spoke in English and my message was clear. He apologised for the mistake and stopped himself”.

Zubia did not say on whose initiative he had brought Kobler’s briefing to a halt, threatening to withdraw the accreditation of all the journalists who were there. Officials attending a Tunis meeting with prime minister-designate Faiez Serraj told this newspaper that they doubted very much is Zubia had acted alone. They believed that the foreign press chief was working on instructions from Nouri Abu Sahmain, annoyed that Kobler had refused to hold a joint press conference after his earlier meeting the GNC president.

Kara is among the Libya Dawn elements known to back the Skirhat deal and the Government of National Accord. In another version of last night’s events, Zubia was bundled off to Rada’s Mitiga prison where two of his accredited foreign journalists were also recently detained for a while.  He was then supposedly released after a short time following the intervention of a Misratan militia. Zubia’s family comes from Misrata.

Zubia has done a far better job of pitching the Libya Dawn message to foreign media than the Beida government, whose international projection has bordered on the pathetic. However he has reportedly been under a cloud since a recent interview with the UK’s Daily Telegraph in which he was thought to have exceeded his brief. In this he threatened that if the EU did not help the Tripoli administration with illegal migration Libya Dawn might launch a flood of asylum seekers toward Europe.  Zubia was merely repeating a comment he had made to camera earlier in the year in a little-seen migration broadcast. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGwellJamal ZubiyaKaraKoblerLibyaLibya DawnUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Sabratha military leader denies any meeting with UNSMIL

Ajdabiya and Derna Shoura Councils deny terrorist links.

Ajdabiya and Derna Shoura Councils deny terrorist links.

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.