No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Court reopens investigation into Younis killing

byMichel Cousins
June 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Court reopens investigation into Younis killing

Tripoli, 1 June:

A Libyan court has decided to reopen investigations into the assassination of Major-General Abdel-Fattah Younis, the former Chief of . . .[restrict]Staff who was murdered with two of his colleagues on 28 July last year.

Abdel-Fattah Younis

According to the prosecution, the reason for the decision, taken on Wednesday, is that the main defendant in the case has alleged that members of the NTC were involved in the assassination but had failed to provide any evidence. Because the defendant had condemned the NTC and accused prominent figures of the NTC, the court had requested to have them all reinvestigated, the prosecutor said.

Seventeen people, mostly soldiers, have been indicted for the killing of Younis, but only one is in custody, Salem Obeidi. He made his first appearance in a military court in Benghazi on 25 April. The case has been adjourned several times.

Younis was killed after being summoned by the NTC from Brega to Benghazi for questioning. However, there have been persistent conflicting accounts of what actually happened.  One account says he was recalled because of allegations that he was still in contact with the Qaddafi regime, another says he was being investigated for financial irregularities.  NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil claimed the involvement of pro-Qaddafi forces in the assassination, others said he was killed alternatively by Islamists, by individuals out for revenge or by supporters of the revolution who suspected him of being a traitor.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

His son Mutasim Abdel-Fatah claimed that the reopening of the investigations into his father’s murder could reveal more serious facts.

He added that many names had been mentioned in court, including that of the NTC chairman, and that they were being investigated along with those who carried out, masterminded and planned the attack. He claimed that the NTC was involved in the assassination and that it had a hidden agenda.

The NTC stated last month that it knows the identity of the killers, but was reluctant to disclose their identity for fear harming the revolution.  This seemingly suggests that there are those in positions of power and influence at present who have something to hide. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Tripoli Chamber fears softer rules for foreign businesses

Pro-federal rallies in Ajdabiya and Bayda mark Cyrenaica's 1949 "independence"

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.