No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Washington indicates it will apply pressure on GNC

byMichel Cousins
August 7, 2015
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter

Tunis, 3 August 2015:

US Secretary of State John Kerry sought to blow new life into Libya’s peace process . . .[restrict]on Sunday, by throwing support behind the UN’s plan for a power sharing government.

Only one of Libya’s two administrations – the internationally recognised one – has agreed the UN plan but Kerry said that must change.

“We cannot allow one or two or three different spoiler groups who have not achieved all of their goals they had hoped to achieve though the conflict to destroy the entire process,” Kerry said in Cairo, apparently referring to the Tripoli-based continuing General National Congress (GNC).

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

Kerry, in Egypt for talks with Foreign Minister Sameh Shukri, added: “We agree that we are going to review a couple of possibilities and options over the course of the next days of how we might get greater support to the UN initiative right now.”

The comments and the implied commitment will be music to the ears of UN Special Mission to Libya (UNSMIL) Envoy Bernadino Leon, who has yet to find a peace formula both the GNC and House of Representatives (HoR) can live with.

Libya has been at war since July last year, when the Libya Dawn militia coalition rebelled against the newly elected HoR and seized Tripoli in six weeks of bloody fighting.

Since then the country has been divided, with elements of the former GNC aligned with Dawn installing themselves in the capital, and the HoR fleeing to the eastern city of Tobruk.

Throughout this war Leon has held talks in Switzerland, Algeria, Belgium and Morocco as well as Libya itself seeking compromise. Successive drafts of his plan for a Government of National Accord have oscillated, some favouring the GNC and others, including the current draft, favouring the HoR.

The current draft recognises the HoR as the key legislative body, giving a proposed State Council, to be dominated by the GNC, only advisory powers. Unsurprisingly the plan is favoured by the HoR but not by the GNC, although its outline was signed by Mohamed Sawan, head of the Muslim Brotherhood’s political arm, the Justice and Construction Party, which makes up the bulk of the GNC.

Leon met on Friday with GNC leaders in Algiers led by its speaker Nouri Abu Sahmain trying to win their support for his plan, but left without their agreement. Nevertheless he said he is hoping for a new round of Skhirat talks involving teams from both the HoR and GNC this week as well as the other delegates at date yet to be agreed.

Abu Sahmain will draw encouragement from being described in the UNSMIL communiqué of the meeting as the “president of the GNC”, because earlier in the peace process, Leon preferred to describe him only as the former president, with the GNC formally disbanded with the election of its replacement, the HoR.

The other hurdle Leon must clear is that while HoR delegates, and members of many other factions, agreed to his draft plan in outline in July, the agreement came at the price of leaving key aspects of the power-sharing plan undecided.

Leon’s plan ignores also the security plan, and who would command Libya’s united army. Both need to be agreed before the plan will go forward, and a potential deal-breaking element is Libya Dawn. If its militias are banned and ordered to disband, the GNC is likely to say no. If they are not, opposition is certain from the HoR.

Leon’s biggest problem is the lack of international leverage to compel both sides to make peace. The EU last month mooted the idea of sanctions, including an asset freeze and travel ban on five individuals – three from Dawn and two from the government forces – as a means of pressuring an agreement. But a ban failed to win universal support at the United Nations the month before.

On the ground, fighting continues in eastern Libya, between army units and Islamist militias, although western Libya has seen a series of locally-agreed ceasefires damp down hostilities. With neither set of armies exhausted, prospects for Leon’s plan succeeding may depend on what kind of leverage Kerry brings to the table. [/restrict]

Tags: Bernadino LeonLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Sniper targets Benghazi TV crew

Sniper targets Benghazi TV crew

Daesh threatens Hafter and HoR with unspecified retribution

Daesh threatens Hafter and HoR with unspecified retribution

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.