No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HRW slams use of antipersonnel mines

byNigel Ash
November 6, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 5 November 2014:

Zintani forces defending Tripoli International Airport are being implicated in the deployment of anti-personnel mines, banned . . .[restrict]by an international treaty to which Libya is not yet a signatory.

Human Rights Watch today produced a report in which it said there was credible evidence that one or more militia groups had used antipersonnel mines during the fight for the airport. The use of these devices constitutes a war crime.

HRW said that it had not been possible to work out which groups had been responsible for laying the deadly weapons.  It had contacted the mayor of Zintan, Mustafa Al-Barouni who had denied Zintani forces had used either anti-personnel or anti-vehicle land mines during the  battle.

RELATED POSTS

LAIP stalled Misrata cement factory committee meets to move the project forward

Following Qatari Elegancia’s contract: Audit Bureau stresses effective management of public funds, optimal use of management contracts‎

HRW urged Libya Dawn forces, which now control the burnt-out remains of Tripoli International Airport to destroy surviving stockpiles and make sure that all remaining planted mines were cleared according to international standards.

“The use of antipersonnel land mines by any party anywhere is unacceptable” said Stephen Goose, director of HRW’s Arms Division, ” All parties should order their forces to stop using land mines and destroy any stocks immediately”.

Goose and HRW co-founded the International Campaign to Ban Land Mines (ICBL), an initiative recognised by the 1997 Nobel Peace Prize.  Libya is not party to the mine-ban treaty which led to the award.

HRW pointed out however, that at the UN on Monday, Libya had backed a non-binding General Assembly resolution supporting the ban. However the UN had been told that the Thinni government was not yet able to sign up to the treaty.

HRW said that they had been told last Saturday by a  senior United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) official in Libya that the UN has no “confirmed information” on the mine use at Tripoli Airport.

In addition, representatives of international mine action operators working in Libya told HRW that they could not comment on the use of mines at Tripoli Airport as their staff have been unable to access the site.

HRW said however that the commander of a Misratan engineering unit had told them that in just over two months, his men had cleared around 600 mostly antipersonnel land mines, mostly apparently made in Brazil.

HRW has warned that those who commit or are associated with the commission of war crimes, are subject to prosecution either in Libya or the International Criminal Court in the Hague. [/restrict]

Tags: airportantipersonnel minesHRWLibyaLibya DawnMisrataZintan

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Hafter declares Benghazi safe despite continued clashes

Hafter declares Benghazi safe despite continued clashes

Supreme Court rules HoR illegal

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.