No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US and North African nations call for end to Libyan fighting

byCallum Paton
August 9, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
US and North African nations call for end to Libyan fighting

African leaders meet in Washington at the US African summit (Photo: The White House)

By Libya Herald staff.

African leaders meet in Washington at the US African summit (Photo: The White House)
African leaders meet in Washington at the US Africa Summit (Photo: The White House)

London, 8 August 2014:

Algeria, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia with Libya and the US have called . . .[restrict]on all warring groups in the country to cease hostilities.

“We call upon all parties in Libya to adopt an immediate ceasefire and to undertake negotiations to address the country’s security and stability needs,” the nations said in a joint statement following meetings in Washington. North African leaders have been meeting in the US capital over the last week at the US Africa Leaders’ Summit.

The six countries expressed their deep concerns over the security challenges facing Libya and the possible impact further deterioration could have on the region. “We call on Libya’s newly-elected Council of Representatives and other democratic institutions to adopt inclusive policies that benefit all Libyans and to build a government that meets the Libyan people’s needs for security, reconciliation and prosperity”, the statement said.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Libya, Algeria and Tunisia agree on further cooperation on land transport

 The Algerian Prime Minister Abdul Malek Salel ruled out the possibility of an Algerian military intervention in Libya. Salel said that the formation of a unity government in Libya with the help of the country’s regional neighbours was the only solution to the current crisis.

“A way must be found to create harmony and order and create the government and institutions capable of leading the country,” Salel was quoted by the Algerian news agency APS as saying. “However the deployment of our troops to restore order is not a solution and cannot be the answer,” he added.

The Egyptian and Russian presidents Abdul Fatah Al-Sisi and Vladmir Putin have also released a joint statement addressing the current situation in Libya. The two leaders expressed concern over the crisis and called for the promotion of national dialogue to resolve differences, according to the Egyptian state information service ISIS.

[/restrict]

Tags: algeriaEgyptfeaturedLibyaMoroccoRussiaTunisia

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Libyan Red Crescent: ongoing conflict has “grave humanitarian consequences”

Libyan Red Crescent: ongoing conflict has “grave humanitarian consequences”

UNHCR concerned for safety of refugees and asylums seekers in Libya

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.