No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

ELECTION 2014: The view from Tripoli’s polling centres

byCallum Paton
June 26, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
ELECTION 2014: The view from Tripoli’s polling centres

Voting in Tripoli yesterday (Photo: Seraj Essul)

By Callum Paton and Seraj Essul.

Voting in Tripoli yesterday (Photo: Seraj Essul)
Voting in Tripoli yesterday (Photo: Seraj Essul)

Tripoli, 26 June 2014:

Braving heats of over 40 degrees centigrade, Tripoli’s voters cast . . .[restrict]their ballots today across the city’s electoral constituencies.

While by midday less than 20 percent of Tripoli’s registered voters had made their way to the polls, those who had were determined to make sure their voices were heard through the ballot box.

At 10 am at the Ali Warayith School in central Tripoli, polling station manager Ishmael Ali Kilani told the Libya Herald that voting had been a little lower than expected but that it would pick up by the evening. He had a total of 2,981 voters registered at his electoral centre.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Tripoli based Libyan Prime Minister Aldabaiba launches Three-Track Political Initiative

Polling station staff member Aisha Mahmoud Abdul Salem said turnout had been lower and that the atmosphere had not been the same as for elections to the General National Congress (GNC). “In those elections people were energised and they were happy, full of hope,” she said. It was Salem’s fourth election at the polling station in central Tripoli and she said now she was “addicted to elections”.

Senior observer for the elections Abdul Rahman Al-Oradin and member of the Libyan Association for the Prisoners of Opinion had visited five electoral centre in the two hours since voting had begun. He said the polling centres had opened perfectly and added that it was “the first priority of all Libyans to strengthen democracy”.

Oradin spent five years in prison for undermining the Qaddafi regime in 1993.

Khalifa Al-Aghali, 75, voted for his Nasserist friend and had participated in elections under King Idris in the 1950s. He said the elections today in Libya were a continuation of life before Qaddafi. “We do not want it to be the same as before,” he said. “We want it to be better.”

“Qaddafi was not so bad to begin with”, he continued, “but he went crazy. The people he surrounded himself with were crazy. These members of the Congress though, they were just crazy from the start”, Al-Aghali said. “The GNC was a total failure. They dragged us back 100 years. Things will be difficult for some time but this will not be permanent.”

Outside the polling centre at Doha School in Hey Andulus one voter, an oil worker, said infighting between the political parties had been the reason for such high levels of voter apathy. Nevertheless, he felt banning candidates from running along party lined had been a mistake.

“The first congress was divided between the National Forces Alliance and the Islamists,” he explained.  “But you cannot build democracy without parties. If they are not in a party many [members of the House of Representatives] will change their positions.” He would not say who he had voted for but did say that he had not voted for an Islamist.

Inside the polling centre, House of Representatives candidate Hana Khalifa Abodeed was voting with her family. She similarly felt it was unlikely, despite electoral laws saying all candidates had to run as independents, that political blocks would not dominate the new parliament.

“It will of course be the case that the parliament will divide into Islamist and National Forces Alliance blocks,” she said. “If the Alliance proposes legislation I agree with, then I would vote with them,” she added.

“The people are standing with us because they are fed up with the Islamists,” she said. “They neglected the army and the police and ignored the security situation.”

Abodeed conceded however that voters’ disillusionment extended beyond just Congress’s Islamic block.

“People have stated to hate putting their fingers in the ink, people have started to hate elections,” she said. “But if candidates stand by their promises trust can be rebuilt,” she stressed.

Waleed Al-Mansouri a security consultant and an Amazigh, said the greatest challenge facing Libya was disarming revolutionary brigades. Both parties in Congress, he added, had acted in the own interests.

Mansouri, who said he was “Libyan first and Amazigh second” said his ethnic group had nothing to fear from the House of Representatives. He said he had boycotted elections to the Constitutional Drafting Committee over issues concerning the Amazigh language. “The electorate’s trust could be won back quickly if those on power had the will to change,” he concluded.

[/restrict]

Tags: electionsHNECLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
No mechanism to access potential LD 40 bn available for SME loans – Libya Enterprise GM

No mechanism to access potential LD 40 bn available for SME loans - Libya Enterprise GM

Car bomb attack on Constitutional Assembly

Car bomb attack on Constitutional Assembly

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.