No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saadi Qaddafi denies abuse allegations, apologises to Libya people

byMichel Cousins
March 28, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Saadi Qaddafi denies abuse allegations, apologises to Libya people

Saadi Qaddafi in Tripoli's Hadba Prison (Archives).

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Saadi Qaddafi in Hadba Prison
Saadi Qaddafi in Hadba Prison (Photo: Sky News)

Tripoli, 28 March 2014:

A calm and seemingly un-bruised Saadi Qaddafi appeared on a televised video . . .[restrict]from Hadba prison yesterday to deny to allegations that he had been ill treated, beaten and tortured.

Former Prime Minister Ali Zeidan had said in an interview this week in The Times of London that he had heard that Saadi was abused and tortured in the prison. He said that prison guards had been prisoners during Qaddafi’s era and were suspected of taking revenge.

Even before that, there were allegations on social media that Qaddafi’s youngest son was being mistreated and tortured, in particular to obtain information as to the whereabouts of money which he supposedly hid before he escaped to Niger.

RELATED POSTS

Demonstrations in Zuwara against the Zuwara Free Zone Development Project

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The video showed him, apparently from his prison cell and in a blue prison uniform, saying that he had been informed of the rumours. Denying them, he touched his body with both hands to indicate that he was in sound condition.  

“I was expecting something else but I had found a different situation in which procedures are  fair,” he said. “If I knew that the situation was good, I would have returned to Libya from the beginning,” he said somewhat implausibly.

There was heating in his cell and he could pray as well, he stated.

He apologised to the Libyan people, the revolution and the government, saying he regretted what he had done and asking for forgiveness.  He also called on people to disarm and seek reconciliation. He regretted destabilising the country and not being able to do anything to help the country rebuild again.

There was a message for his mother, wife, sister and children, saying he was in good health and in need of nothing.

At the end of the video,  Qaddafi’s internal security chief  Abdullah Mansour, who was in exile in Niger with Saadi but extradited before him and now likewise in Hadba prison, said that he too was fine. He similarly apologised to the Libyans who, he said, had suffered at the hands of the former regime of which he was part.

The media office at Hadba prison had earlier told the Libya Herald that what Zeidan had said was “100-percent untrue” and that international organisations could visit the prison anytime to see the conditions of the prison and prisoners too. 

With input from Ahmed Elumami [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHadba prisonLibyaSaadi Qaddafi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Morning Glory takes temporary berth in Khoms

Security officers escape killers in Benghazi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.