No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya calls for international help to fight terrorism

byMichel Cousins
March 20, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 20 March 2014:

The government has called on the international community, in particular the United . . .[restrict]Nations, to help in rooting out terror groups operating in the country, notably in Benghazi, Derna and Sirte.

Last month alone, 51 people were killed in what were seen as politically motivated assassinations in the three places.

In a statement issued at the send of the cabinet meeting in Ghat, the cabinet stressed its commitment to preserve the right to life for all Libyans and win the war against terror as soon as possible.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

In its Ghat statement released yesterday, the second of the three-day mourning for the military students killed in a Benghazi car bomb on Monday, it said that Benghazi, Derna and Sirte were the victims of a terrorist war carried out by Libyans and foreigners with their own agenda.

The situation was such that the government had to use all its military and security resources to combat “this scourge”, the statement said.  It indicated that military force was the only way “of restoring security and safety to our beloved cities”.

“These terrorist groups have exceeded all values and trampled on all norms, neglecting all the good laws and conventions, and devastated the lives of our citizens and foreigners”. 

What was happening in Libya and the targeting of foreigners was damaging Libya’s relations with its friends and the international community, the Ghat statement said.

At no point did it indicate who the terrorists were. Most Libyans as well as the international community see militant Islamists as responsible for the killings in Benghazi and Derna. In Sirte, former regime supporters are viewed as being involved as well.

In a telephone conversation with Libya Al-Ahrar TV channel, Mizhah Congressman Ibrahim Abushaala insisted that the latest investigations indicated that Qaddafi loyalists were “behind the assassinations and lack of security in the country”. Bushaala, a member of the Congressional Interior Affairs Committee, added that the Interior Ministry had promised Congress to reveal the identity of those involved but had not done so yet.   

However, another Congress member told the Libya Herald on condition of anonymity that Qaddafi supporters were not the only ones behind what is currently happening in the country. Libyans and foreign interests were involved in the killings, he said, because it was not their interests that a stable Libya be built. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah ThinniIbrahim AbushaalaLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Baghdadi Al-Mahmoudi court hearing postponed, Tunisian lawyers denied access to him

Coastguard rescues 348 migrants

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.