No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Al-Thinni “will stay as Prime Minister” says GNC member

bythomwestcott
March 17, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 17 March 2014:

Abdullah Al-Thinni, the current “caretaker” Prime Minister is likely to remain in post until the end . . .[restrict]of term of the General National Congress (GNC), one Congressman told the Libya Herald today.

“There are a lot of candidates for Prime Minister but because of arguments between GNC members it is not easy to agree on any one person,” the Congressman said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “I think Thinni will remain in this position for a long time.”

Thinni was sworn in as a “caretaker” Prime Minister last week after the GNC passed a vote of no-confidence on former Prime Minister Ali Zeidan.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Health Ministry prohibits acceptance of gifts or donations without prior written permission as part of transparency drive

Ministry of Oil concerned about negative effect of UN report on fuel smuggling on sector investment

Doubts still hang over the vote that ousted Zeidan, with opponents calling into question the legality of the vote.

Zeidan himself said, in a televised interview on Saturday, that the vote of no-confidence was illegal, saying that the required quorum to dismiss him was not reached. Only 113 Congress members voted in the sitting, he said, with extra votes added later.

GNC spokesperson Omar Hemeidan, however, told Al-Sharq Al-Awsat newspaper that the vote was legal and had been recorded. He called Zeidan’s comments on TV inappropriate for a former Prime Minister.

“If Zeidan has any doubts about the decision, he can appeal it in front of the Supreme Constitutional Court,” said Hemeidan. “If he does not recognise the decision he should follow the legal path instead of talking through the media”.

Some members of Congress themselves are also in disagreement over the vote.

Congressman Ibrahim Abdulaziz Sahad told the Libya Herald that he had attended the sitting and confirmed that 121 GNC members voted to withdraw confidence in Zeidan. Another three members who were outside the hall then cast their votes, he said, taking the number up to 124.

“I personally voted to withdraw confidence in Zeidan and the votes were counted by Congress employees,” Sahad said. “The vote was 100 percent legal and correct.”

However, two Congresswomen, Asma Sariba and Zainab Haroun Al-Targhi, said that thirteen members of the GNC would appeal the vote against Zeidan which, they said, was “illegal” and “contrary to the constitutional declaration.”

“The presidency of the Congress knew very well that they would not reach the quorum to sack Zeidan so they integrated four decisions in one vote which was illegal,” Sairba said.

One of these was postponed but, along with the withdrawal of confidence in Zeidan, votes were counted on the adoption of the February Committee’s proposal and the adoption of a bill for the budget of the new municipalities.

A group of thirteen members of Congress had released a statement denouncing the voting process, she said. It was not carried out in accordance with the international regulations where every member should stand up and say “for” or “against,” she said. Instead, the vote was carried out with a show of hands by seated GNC members.

The group has asked Congress to show video footage from the vote, for the sake of transparency and to prove to all Libyans that the process was legal and correct.

There had been no response from Congress so far, she added. [/restrict]

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinniAli ZeidanGeneral National CongressGNCLibyano-confidence votePrime Ministertransparencyvote

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Government announces three days national mourning for Benghazi blast victims

Libya and Egypt agree border residents can cross frontier without visas

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.