No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sharara blockade partially lifted

byMichel Cousins
March 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sharara blockade partially lifted

Akakus operations

By Jamal Adel.

Akakus operations (Photo: Akakus Oil)
Akakus operations (Photo: Akakus Oil)

Tripoli, 10 March, 2014.

Protestors at the Sharara oilfield in the south-west of the country who have been preventing oil . . .[restrict]being pumped say they suspended their action on Saturday. However, they say they will be back in a fortnight’s time if their demands are not met.

The decision to lift the blockade follows another visit to the the second largest oilfield in the country by Defence Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni. The field is  operated by Akakus Oil.

“Either we’ll be satisfied with our demands being met soon or we’ll blocking the oilfield again in two weeks’ time,” a leading member of the Sharara blockaders, Mahmoud Al-Ansari, told the Libya Herald. “We lifted the blockade temporarily on the Saturday because of Abdullah Al-Thanni’s visit to the Sharara a few days ago” he explained.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

Al-Thanni was at the oilfield on 2 March to meet the protestors, his second visit to the site. In January he managed to get them to lift their blockade after assuring them that the authorities would listen to their complaints.  However, they renewed their action in mid February complaining that the government had not done so. Last week after Thinni’s second visit, the protestors said that they would not lift the blockade, declaring that his renewed attempt at mediation was just “words”.

It is not clear what made them change their minds.

The suspension will have limited effect as the pipeline to the Zawia refinery and terminal is still subject to separate action near Reyayna in the Jebel Nafusa by members of the Petroleum Facilities Guard from Zintan who have turned down the valves, demanding what had been described as compensation.

“The resumption of production started yesterday afternoon, but we couldn’t pump more than 100,000 b/d so far out of its total capacity 35000,000 b/d, because the block near Reyayana is what is now disrupting the usual flow of oil,” Sharara oilfield manager Hassan Al-Sideek told this newspaper.

The flow has been cut by more than 80 percent according to Husain Al-Hingari, in charge of the Sharara terminals at Zawia port.

“Zintan Local Council and the elders are doing their best to mediate the situation and convince the PFG members to lift their block on the terminal,” Mustafa Al-Barouni, a member of the council said. [/restrict]

Tags: akakusfeaturedLibyaShararaZawia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Congress members walkout in February Committee vote dispute

Alexandria Declaration on Women’s rights in Islam

Alexandria Declaration on Women's rights in Islam

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.