No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Suspended payments to revolutionaries prompted attack on government HQ

byMichel Cousins
April 11, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Furnaji

Tripoli, April 11

Tuesday’s attack on the government’s headquarters in Tripoli was in revenge at the government’s decision to suspend . . .[restrict]promised payments to revolutionaries.

Members of the battalions who carried out the attack have said that they targeted Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib and the Finance Minister Hassan Zaglam whose presence outside the building coincided with the ex-fighters’ arrival, because they had made the decision to temporary stop financial grant awarded to the rebels without any justification.

The assault on the Council of Ministers headquarters involved a number of armed groups who fired shots inside the building.

RELATED POSTS

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sources close to the prime minister have denied that he and his chief of staff were physically assaulted in the attack.

Security around the building has since been strengthened

The government has called the violence “criminal” saying that it attacked Libyan sovereignty and violated the law, and that it rejected threats and blackmail.

The attack followed the government decision on Monday to suspend payments to men who fought against the Qaddafi regime last year — LD 4,000 for married fighters and LD 2,400 for unmarried ones.  It said it was doing so because the scheme riddled with corruption and that people who do not qualify had been paid.

In the past three months some LD 1.8 billion has been paid out.

The scheme has led to a number of instances of violence and even loss of life whenclaimants arrived at local military council offices and found that their names were missing from the lists or the names of others who never fought were included.

It had been left to local military councils to draw up the lists and pay out the funds provided to them from the Central Bank.  It is claimed that some officials have been acting corruptly, adding the same names more than once, thus enabling them to be paid more than their fair share, or those of people who never fought.

“The corruption is too much,” NTC spokesman Mohammed Al-Hareizi was quoted by Reuters as saying.  “Some of the people on the lists aren’t even alive.”

The government statement following the attacks said the decision to temporarily suspend the payments was fully justified. The aim, it said, was to eliminate the fraud which was used in lists submitted for grants and thus stop draining the public funds and preserve the country’s wealth.

The government added that it would, in order to preserve the state and its institutions, be compelled in future to use force to impose law and protect state institutions.  It called on revolutionaries to renounce violence and denounce acts of sabotage carried out in their name.  It was their duty to protect the revolution, not to attack it or use it for personal gain.

On March 22, the government’s offices were besieged by brigadesmen claiming they had not been given the payment and demanding they paid the money.

A few days earlier, the Grand Mufti, Sheikh Sadik Al-Ghariani pointed to the flaws in the system, issuing a fatwa forbidding anyone who had not fought last year from taking a payment and ordering those who had to pay the money back to the Central Bank.

Tweet
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Salloum border crossing tense after 2 killed in protests

Ukraine insists its citizens are innocent

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.