No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Pipelines reopened but water still not flowing

bythomwestcott
May 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Pipelines reopened but water still not flowing

Water resources minister Hadi Hinshir

By Seraj Essul and Tom Westcott.

Water resources minister Hadi Hinshir
Water resources minister Hadi Hinshir (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

Tripoli, 8 September 2013:

The Man-Made River pipeline has been reopened, six days after it was cut by tribal leaders reacting to the kidnapping of Anoud Senussi, but the capital will not have running water for at least another four days.

“Yesterday, at midnight, the operation team started running one of the pumps at the main pumping station,” Minister of Water Resources, Alhadi Suleiman Hinshir, said today at a press conference. He explained that the power transformer which supplied the pipes and pumping stations had been attacked, and teams had needed to evaluate the damage before they could return to work.

“Water is now flowing at a rate of about 200,000 cubic metres,” he said, “and water will reach Tripoli and the Nafusa Mountain area in four to five days.”

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli’s Grand Water Reservoir: Aldabaiba to eliminate water scarcity by supporting development projects

Workshop on ‘‘Manufacture and Packaging of Drinking Water’’ – Tripoli, 16 October

Hinshir explained that the Man-Made river pipeline from Jebel al-Hasauna normally pumped 1 million and 300,000 cubic metres a day. The process of re-pumping the full supply to Tripoli needed between four and six days, he said, because it had to be reintroduced to the pipeline gradually, expelling air that had filled the pipes over the last six days.

“Air has to be gradually expelled from the pipes to avoid a build-up of pressure which could cause an explosion,” Technical Manager for the Man-Made River, Mohammad Hejaji, told the Libya Herald. “It needs to have at least 1 million cubic metres to be able to remove the air from the system,” he said.

Hinshir said that the National Company for Water and Wastewater would distribute water throughout areas affected by cuts in tankers, to lower the effect of the crisis. It was not made clear where the tankers would be stationed or how people were expected to locate these.

Water was stopped on Tuesday 3 September, when a group of men from the Magarha tribe stormed the main pumping station at Jebel-Hasana and forced employees to stop working. They were demanding the release of Anoud Senussi, the daughter of Qaddafi-era intelligence head Abdullah Senuusi. She was kidnapped on Monday, immediately after her release from a Tripoli jail where she had served a ten-month term for entering the country on a forged passport.

Although Anoud was actually being held by the country’s Special Forces, who apparently intercepted the convoy she was travelling in a pre-emptive attempt to secure her safety, the tribesmen refused to restart pumping until she had been safely returned to the South.

Anoud was released last night and returned to family members at 10 pm. Within two hours,  the operations team from the Man-Made River started running one of the pumps.

Homes across the capital began running low on water within 24 hours of the pumping station being stopped. Much of Tripoli has been without water since Friday.

“The supply of water and other resources is not a subject for political arguments or tribal conflicts and should not be used as a ransom by people to achieve certain ends,” Hinshir said, adding that resources were protected by international laws. [/restrict] [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaman-made riverMinistry of Water Resourceswaterwater shortages

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
New school year begins

New school year begins

The 10th Libyan Healthcare Exhibition 2013 opens tomorrow

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.