No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dead man was major drugs dealer claims SSC special unit

byMichel Cousins
February 9, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan.

Tripoli, 14 January 2013:

The special SWAT unit ‘Quwat Al-Rada” that arrested . . .[restrict]the alleged drug dealer Najmi Al-Abani who subsequently died claims it had been looking for him for over four weeks and an arrest warrant had been obtained from the anti-narcotics department over a month ago. It also claims that Abani died in prison of severe cold.

Others say that he was a small-time dealer, that he was murdered and his body left on the beach. Deputy Interior Minister Omar El-Khadrawi has said that he was killed “unlawfully”.  An enquiry has been started by the authorties.

The special unit, commanded by Mahmud Humza, comes under the Ministry of Interior and has created a name for seizing large amount drugs and alcohol in the past 6 weeks.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Abani, who lived in Tripoli’s Fashloum district, had a history as a drug dealer, the unit says, claiming that he served a lengthy prison sentence in Tunisia in the 1990s and he was later arrested in Libya and charged with drugs-related offences. It is reported that he was last arrested in May 2009 along with two others while trying to bring a kilo of cocaine into Libya.

After the news of his death spread, angry residents of Fashloum took to the streets and blocked the main road for two days demanding action against the brigade that arrested him. The also called for action against a senior commander of Supreme Security Committee (SSC), Abdul Rauf Karah, who has overall control of the unit that held Abani.

The special unit in question was formed as a result of consultations between all units of SSC Tripoli in August 2012. The units decided to form a special force to cope with the threat of drugs that was growing rapidly. It was decided that ten members would be selected from all units that would join this special unit. It took three months before some 140 members were selected and then trained. The unit went operational on 1 December 2012 and it conducted several operations since, seizing huge quantities of drugs and alcohol.

The spokesman of the unit, Osama Qamboor, told the Libya Herald that they were informed by people in Fashloum about the presence of Abani but he disapeared before they arrived there. “We ultimately arrested him in Ghout Al-Shaal without any gun battle. He was then taken to the headquarters from where he was transferred to the prison.”

According to initial reports, Abani was tortured to death but these claims have been denied by Karah, who has claimed that the man died of cold, having been left outside all night. Qamboor restates the denial. “We can’t say if he was hit during some sort of struggle inside the car but once he arrived at the headquarters, he was not tortured at all. It’s impossible that something happened to him in the prison.”

Maintaining likewise that Abani died of cold, he said that the exact cause could only be determined once the investigation was finished. “Doctors said that he died of cold but I cannot speculate on the cause of his death. It will be clear once the investigation is completed.”

Qamboor blamed the drug dealers for the trouble in front of the Mitigaa airbase and said that those who gathered outside the base on Wednesday were only looking for trouble. “We pulled inside the base as we wanted to avoid any confrontation. These 25-30 men were only looking for trouble. They also fired shots in the air and towards the base.”

Qamboor claimed that Abani was one of the biggest drug dealers of North Africa and they had evidence to prove it. “We have concrete evidence against him. We were following him for some time. People from Fashloum initially reported his activities to us and then we started gathering all the evidence. He was not only involved but was the main supplier of drugs here.”

Some people hold Abdul Rauf Karah, commander of around 49 reinforcement units under the SSC, as responsible for Abani’s death. Deputy Interior Minister Omar Khadrawi also named Karah in reference to last week’s clashes in Tripoli in a cabinet meeting and said that the death of Abani would be investigated.

However, present at a meeting discussing the current situation with other notables from his constituency of Suq Al-Juma, Congressman Ehmeda Saleh Assaid Eddali expressed support for Karah and called for strict action against what he called an ‘organised drug ring’. He told the Libya Herald that the issue was not between personalities but about the evil of drugs in the Libyan society. He also said that the evil of drugs was now in academic institutions and it has even started reaching primary schools, corrupting the young students.

Eddali said that he and others were building Libya for the future generation and everybody should work together to make it a country free of this evil. The trade in alcohol and drugs, he added, were endangering the security and stability of Libya and should be stopped with force.

Follow Umar Khan on Twitter

[/restrict]

Tags: FashloumIslamistsKaraLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Women’s bloc founded in Congress

Women's bloc founded in Congress

Zeidan in Qatar

Zeidan in Qatar

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.