No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Human Rights

Militias not in power grab says UN’s Ian Martin

byNigel Ash
March 2, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Despite international reports to the contrary, Libya’s militias do not want to hang on to power and the streets, but merely . . .[restrict]wish to ensure that the revolution they fought for, stays on track said the United Nation’s man in Libya.

The UN's Ian Martin

Ian Martin, the UN Secretary General’s special representative in Libya and head of the UN’s Mission of Support in Libya (UNSMIL) explained Wednesday in his latest report to the Security Council: “ Contrary to the impression given by some media reports, although the brigades seek guarantees that the transformation for which they have fought is securely on track, there is little indication that they wish to perpetuate an existence outside state authority.” Martin also pointed out that many militiamen were unpaid and serving purely as volunteers.

Admitting that some brigades lacked clear lines of command and co-ordination he said: “There is some appreciable progress in the development of state authority over brigades in the provision of security, including through the establishment of local security committees under the direction of the Ministry of Interior, to coordinate security operations among participating brigades.”

Martin cited the success of the February 17 celebrations to mark the first anniversary of the outbreak of the revolution. Though some sort of attack by pro-Qaddafi elements had been expected, the huge street parties throughout the country patrolled by militiamen, passed off without incident.

He said he believed that the role of the brigades would change as the Ministry of the Interior took over land, air and sea port border controls, as the government intends.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Martin however had less positive news on detainees, reporting to the Security Council that there were still between five and six thousand people held by militias. He pointed out that since his last report in January, the government had taken over two detention centres, bringing to eight the number of prisons it now controlled with 2,832 detainees.

He also expressed guarded frustration at the progress of any probe into the attack on Tawerghas living in an internal displaced persons camp at the old naval academy at Janzour, in which seven people were killed. He said that UNSMIL had strongly urged an investigation into the murders.

Pointing out that the dead included three children and two women, he continued: “The United Nations has pressed for better security not only at this camp, but also at locations of displaced Tawergha in other parts of the country. This latest incident underscores the urgent need for the responsibility for arrests and detention to be exercised by the Ministry of Justice alone”.

Martin noted that the apology earlier this month from Tawergha tribal leaders to the people of Misrata for crimes committed against them by Tawergha was a contribution toward reconciliation. He said that UNSMIL would continues to work with the Libyan authorities to address the short and longer-term needs of the Tawergha community. [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
1st Tebu Conference in Libya

1st Tebu Conference in Libya

Summit on border smuggling planned with neighbouring states

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.