No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Update II: Security forces arrest man in connection with Benghazi killings, four policemen killed in failed release attempt

byGeorge Grant
January 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Update II: Security forces arrest man in connection with Benghazi killings, four policemen killed in failed release attempt

Faraj Drissi was killed outside his home on

By George Grant and Mohamed Bujenah.

One of the damaged police vehicles in Sunday’s attack. (Photo: Mabrouk Photography)

Benghazi, 16 December:

Security forces in Benghazi have arrested a man in connection with the assassination of . . .[restrict]former police chief Faraj Drissi, along with several other high profile killings that have taken place in Benghazi in the past few months.

The man was picked up in the past few days, but his arrest only became public following two assaults on the city’s police headquarters this morning, Sunday, by assailants attempting to set him free.

Two separate attacks took place on a police facility adjacent to where the man is being held, resulting in four fatalities. The first assault took place around 03:30, leading to the death one policemen, whilst three more were killed in a second attack around 05:30. The three policeman in the latter assault had been dispatched to the scene as reinforcements and were killed in their vehicle.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A senior source inside Benghazi’s police department has informed the Libya Herald that the man has implicated as many as seven leading Islamists.

The official stressed, however, that the man’s testimony would not be taken as proof of the aforementioned individuals’ involvement in the killings, and that further investigations would be required.

Opinion on the assassinations, which have resulted in the death of some 18 senior security officials and and more than 20 others so far this year, varies widely. Some in Benghazi insist that the killings are not connected, but are reprisals against former Qaddafi officers by individuals or their relatives who were abused by them during the period of the former regime. The vast majority of senior members of the regular army and police services in Benghazi previously served under the Qaddafi regime.

Others insist that the killings are connected and that there exists in Benghazi a death list drawn up by Islamist forces seeking to systematically eliminate senior security officials in the eastern city. It is said that these Islamists are trying to destabilise the security apparatus in Benghazi, as part of a broader power-struggle for control. They are also said to reject the regular security services as un-Islamic, not least because of the presence of so many Qaddafi-era officers within their ranks.

Whatever the case, one notable aspect of all the killings has been the fact that – prior to this arrest – none of those suspected of involvement had ever been caught. Not only are the police and judicial system still underdeveloped in Benghazi, as in the rest of Libya, but the security forces have also been deterred from making arrests for fear of reprisals.

This morning’s assault on the police headquarters may mark only the start of revenge attacks, especially if the individual in custody has as much information as is being reported. What remains to be seen, however, is if and when the security services act on that information to make further arrests.

Correction: The original article said that three policemen were killed in the assault. It has now been confirmed that four died. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi police institute receives 1,500 SSC applications in two days

Abdul Jalil will stand trial “very soon” in connection with Younis murder

Abdul Jalil will stand trial "very soon" in connection with Younis murder

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.