No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

National Army produces its first explosive ordinance disposal experts

byGeorge Grant
December 10, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
National Army produces its first explosive ordinance disposal experts

The students oversee unexploded ordinance disposal in action near Gharyan. (Photo: DCA Mine Action)

By George Grant.

The students oversee unexploded ordinance disposal in action near Gharyan. (Photo: DCA Mine Action)

Tripoli, 9 December:

The first soldiers ever to be trained in explosive ordinance disposal inside Libya graduated today, at a . . .[restrict]high-profile ceremony held at the National Army’s Engineer Barracks in Tripoli.

Ten non-commissioned officers of the army’s corps of engineers are now qualified to conduct supervised demolitions of a range of munitions, including rockets, mines and grenades.

The soldiers may also be the first in the world outside of China to have received training on the Chinese Type 84 anti-tank mine, as Libya is the first country in which the mine has been encountered. It was a Type 84 that killed the Estonian de-mining expert Kaido Keerdo back in March. Keerdo was an employee of DCA Mine Action, the same group now training the Libyan soldiers.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

To mark the significance of today’s landmark graduation, several dozen officers and other ranks had turned out to congratulate the soldiers together with representatives from the European Union, which provided funding for the programme.

Amongst those present were Brigadier General Mansour Abo Hjar, head of Libyan land forces; Colonel Jamal Shablik, commander of the Libyan Engineering School; Colonel Yusuf And Al-Jawad, member of the Libyan Armed Forces Defence General Staff; EU Defence Advisor Brigadier General Luigi Scollo; EU Deputy Head of Office Khaldoun Sinno; and UNSMIL representative Emad Abdulbaki.

“The students had an exceptional attitude; they were positive and eager to learn”, said Andy Stott, DCA Mine Action’s Operations Manager in Libya. “All of them were volunteers who showed a commitment to improving themselves”.

In a little under one month, from 11 November to 6 December, the men were inducted in a range of different subjects, including how to identify live and unfired ammunition, blast effects, high-explosives, incendiary devices, NATO and former USSR munitions colour coding, evacuation procedures and additional safety measures.

Although the students are presently trained only to level one, meaning they cannot conduct unsupervised detonations themselves, DCA Mine Action intends to bring them up to level two, which would enable them to dispose of single items of munitions up to 84mm in size.

None of the ten students had previously had any exposure to explosive ordinance disposal, but several now wish to make it the focus of their military careers.

“I volunteered to do this for the sake of Libya, and now I want to make it my speciality”, said Ali Mustafa, one of the soldiers. “It was an excellent course; the instructors were really experienced and knew what they were talking about.”

Certainly, Libya will need more men like Mustafa if it is ever to rid itself of its unexploded ordinance (UXO) problem. Although no exact figure exists for the number of mines still in Libya, it is reckoned the number runs into the millions. From Tobruk to Benghazi and across the Gulf of Sirte, the coast is littered with mines and other UXO left over not just from last year’s revolution, but also the Second World War.

Minefields are also located down the western border from Tunisia to the south, whilst former regime forces are believed to have added further to the problem by laying large quantities of new mines in the Nafusa Mountains during the 2011 uprising.

Several de-mining groups are working in Libya at present in addition to DCA Mine Action. One of the biggest is Handicap International, which had searched more than 21 million square metres of land by the end of last month and removed in excess of 35,000 items of UXO from the Sirte Basin.

On 15 November, the group detonated over nine tons of UXO, some 5,500 individual items, in three bulk demolitions outside Misrata. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Don't just focus on the negatives, Libyan female activist tells BBC interviewer

Chadian war veterans demand compensation

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.