No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Update: GNC suspends Thursday session due to security incursions

bySami Zaptia
November 1, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Update: GNC suspends Thursday session due to security incursions

The GNC meeting in Tripoli (File Photograph)

By Sami Zaptia and Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

The GNC suspended its Thursday sessions . . .[restrict]until Sunday due to security incursions by demonstrators.

Tripoli, 1 November:

Libya’s General National Congress (GNC) was forced to suspend its Thursday sessions due to repeated incursions by the thuwar (militias) earlier today.

The demonstrators had continued their overnight to protest in opposition to some members of Prime Minister Zeidan’s newly approved government. At some stages Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday those charged with securing the GNC building seemed to lose control.

Shots were fired in the air and there was a fear that things could get out of hand as the demonstrators seemed able to occupy the GNC hall at will.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Some GNC members had become unsettled by these continuous incursions into the GNC hall by demonstrators, despite the apparent heavy security outside the hall.

The protesters demanded the removal from Ali Zeidan’s government of any minister who had held a prominent position under the Qaddafi regime or who had worked with his son’s, including Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi.

Six members of the government were referred to the Integrity Commission by the GNC yesterday, with protesters demanding the removal of all of them, claiming that they had unacceptable links with the former regime. In particular, they mentioned the new Minister for Religious Affairs, Abdulsalam Mohammed Abusaad, on account of his alleged links with former spy chief Mousa Kousa, and the new Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ali Al-Aujali, who is said to have been close to Saif Qaddafi.

Some also complained that it was the Integrity Commission itself that had been charged with determining the future of the ministers, arguing that the decision should not rest with that body alone. “We all know that the Integrity Commission failed in the past to exclude well known personalities who are to date holding positions of influence in the new Libya”, one of the protesters said.

Questions are being asked as to how despite the large number of security personnel present outside the GNC, demonstrators are still able to break through.

GNC member Alaeddin Magarief commented that whilst the demonstrators had the right to demonstrate, he objected to their method of demonstration by forcing their way into the GNC hall and disrupting its proceedings.

GNC member Sami Falah, on the other hand, confirmed that he was still within the GNC hall and that the demonstrators had not in any way caused any damage to the hall.

Moreover, he felt that the GNC was exercising double standards. He pointed out that it was these very militiamen who were present in Bani Walid and that the GNC was hailing them as the force of rule of law and legitimacy seeking out those hiding from the law in Bani Walid.

However, yesterday and today the demonstrators were being portrayed as being outside the law, Mr Falah said. All they are asking for is that the government does not appoint people who are deemed to have worked with the old regime.

The GNC will reconvene on Sunday. [/restrict]

Tags: demonstratorsfeaturedGNCZeidan

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

BP plans 17 new wells, offshore and onshore

UK welcomes GNC approval of new Libyan government

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.