No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HNEC extends voter registration for another two weeks – to 17 August

bySami Zaptia
August 2, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(HNEC).

London, 2 August 2021:

Voter registration for Libya’s planned 24 December 2021 elections has been extended for an additional two weeks – ending 17 August.

The revelation was made at a press conference today by Emad Sayeh, the head of the High National Elections Commission (HNEC) held at HNEC’s Media Centre in Tripoli.

Voter registration, which had been opened on 4 July, had closed on 31 July with 348,998 new voters registered. This brought the total registered voters since voter registration was opened in the lead-up to the 2014 elections to 2,689,094. This represents just over 54 percent of eligible voters, out of Libya’s 6.9 million population.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

HNEC holds conference on Libyans’ reluctance to participate in elections

Sayeh said that the voter registration extension came in response to the demands of public opinion and civil society organizations to provide an opportunity for those who did not register or wish to change their previous election centre, and because the registration process witnessed a huge turnout, which reached more than 30 thousand registrations per day.

He also noted several measures had been taken by HNEC to alleviate the pressure on the Support and Assistance Centre (call centre 1441) to allow it to respond to the largest number of calls, especially those related to the disengagement process.

Thanked government for its support

Al-Sayeh thanked the efforts of the Government of National Unity, referring to its issue of resolutions 143 and 170, which allocate an additional amount of money to cover the financing of the 24 December elections and the formation of a Ministerial Committee to support and implement the electoral process.

Support from telecoms, media and NGOs

He also praised the efforts of the telecommunications sector in its various institutions, the response from sector officials, and the efforts of civil society in raising awareness and motivating citizens, and extended special thanks to the activists who dedicated their pages on social media to raise the level of Libyans’ awareness of the importance of participating in the electoral process.

In addition, he praised the efforts of the media in its various media and orientations, for its role in creating a positive atmosphere, and its prominent role in disseminating information and motivating citizens to participate and exercise their right in the upcoming elections.

The government explains it election support

At the press conference, the Minister of State for Communication and Political Affairs, Walid Al-Lafi, head of the Ministerial Election Committee created by the government to support the elections, spoke about the plan to secure the elections.

He said that the Ministry of Interior had prepared a plan to secure 2,000 polling stations with 35,000 security personnel to secure the election centres and operations rooms. It also provided 2,500 vehicles to facilitate the securing of the centres.

Al-Lafi also talked about the establishment of the media centre designated by the Committee to support the electoral process. He spoke about its role in monitoring reports on media content in terms of breaches or errors that appear in the media, violating the controls of impartiality and credibility, and how to reduce these errors and deter their negative impact on the election.

On his part, the Minister of Education, Musa al-Magarief explained his Ministry’s preparations for the success of the expected electoral process by equipping 2,000 polling stations (schools) fully prepared to receive voters to cast their votes on polling day. He also stated that the Ministry of Education is currently preparing to sign a memorandum of understanding with HNEC to coordinate efforts for the success of the upcoming elections.

Tags: Emad SayehfeaturedHNEC head Emad Al-SayehHNEC High National Elections Commissionvoter registration

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Economy Ministry has begun to implement its digital transformation plan

Economy Ministry has begun to implement its digital transformation plan

With the reopening of the Coastal Road, express bus services to the east resumes along shorter route

With the reopening of the Coastal Road, express bus services to the east resumes along shorter route

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.