No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN imposes unprecedented sanctions on six Libya human traffickers

bySami Zaptia
June 8, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The UN Security Council imposed sanctions yesterday on six human traffickers and smugglers operating through Libya (File photo)
The UN Security Council imposed sanctions yesterday on six human traffickers and smugglers operating through Libya (File photo)

London, 8 June 2018:

The UN Security Council imposed unprecedented sanctions yesterday on six leaders of human trafficking and smuggling networks operating from Libya, the Dutch Foreign Ministry has revealed.

The sanctions had been introduced by the Netherlands in May, but Russia had delayed the resolution while it established the evidence against the accused. The sanctions impose a travel ban and an asset freeze on the six named individuals.

It is the first time that the UN Security Council has targeted human traffickers/smugglers.

RELATED POSTS

Libya needs unified institutions to restore economic vitality through UNSMIL’s efforts: Trumps Advisor Boulos

Security Council affirms role of UN in Libya and Tetteh’s road map – calls for Libyans to demonstrate political will, refrain from unilateral action, and unification of institutions and budget

The list of six sanctioned individuals include four Libyans and two Eritreans:

  1. Ahmed Al-Dabbashi – Libyan – leader of the Al-Dabbashi militia operating in the Zawia area.
  2. Musab Abyqrain – Libyan – a leading cross-border human trafficker
  3. Mohamed Keshlaf – Libyan – head of the al-Naser militia controlling Zawia refinery
  4. Abdelrahman Al-Milad – Libyan – head of Zawia Coast Guard
  5. Fitiwi Abdelrazak – Eritrean – a leading human trafficker from the Horn of Africa to Libya
  6. Ermias Ghermay – Eritrean – a leading human trafficker from the Horn of Africa to Libya

‘The Netherlands wants to use its Security Council seat to improve the lives of refugees and migrants in Libya and prevent them from making the dangerous journey across the Mediterranean,’ said foreign minister Stef Blok.

‘’The sanctions are part of a wider approach to tackling human trafficking and people smuggling, which the government intends to step up in line with the coalition agreement,’ explained Mark Harbers, State Secretary for Justice and Security. Over the past few years, large groups of migrants and refugees have crossed the sea from Libya to Europe.

Criminals make big money out of people smuggling and exploiting migrants, who often encounter serious violence and suffer in other ways on their journey. Late last year a CNN report showed victims of human trafficking being sold at a slave market in Libya. Criminal networks benefit from the country’s culture of impunity. ‘This Dutch initiative sends a clear message,’ said Mr Blok. ‘We are tackling human trafficking in Libya.’

The Dutch Public Prosecution Service, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Justice and Security worked together to build a solid foundation for these sanctions, in a unique partnership between diplomats and legal experts. They made use of a combination of reports by authoritative NGOs, criminal investigations and UN reports on Libya. The Netherlands worked closely with several partners on this matter, in particular France, Germany, the UK and the US.

The Dutch initiative had the support of all UN Security Council members and various African countries, as well as the Libyan authorities. ‘They know that these criminal networks are seriously destabilising the country,’ Mr Blok said. The support from Libya and other countries in the region is essential.

The sanctions are not an isolated measure; they are a key part of a comprehensive effort by the entire international community to bring peace and stability to this war-torn country. The Libyan authorities would like to see the list expanded. The Netherlands plans to work with Libya and other partners to seek out ways of doing that, the Dutch government statement added.

Tags: EritreansfeaturedHolland Netherlandshuman traffickersRussiasmugglersUN sanctionsUN Security Council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

NOC welcomes unprecedented UN sanctions against human traffickers

CBL sets framework for economic reform agreed at Tunis meeting

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.