No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Waha to rebuild storage tanks and pipelines, plans “alternative” payment schemes

byMichel Cousins
November 21, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

The fire at the Sidra oil storage tankers led to great losses and damage says the report (Photo: Sirte Oil Company)
 Sidra oil storage tanks on fire in 2014 (Photo: Sirte Oil Company)

Tunis, 21 November 2017:

Waha Oil is looking to replace large sections of its pipelines suffering from corrosion as well as the 12 oil tanks destroyed in 2014 at its terminal in Sidra. However, it lacks the finance to pay for them. As a result, according to Waha chairman Ahmed Ammar, it is looking to alternative means of payment.

Speaking to a business conference in Tunis today organised by the Libyan British Business Council and the British Arab Commercial Bank (BACB), Ammar did not explain what the alternative payment systems might be, whether by oil barter, deferred higher payments or any other means. His sole comment on the matter was that the funding would have to be done in ways different to the traditional payment systems.

Waha had suffered enormous damage since 2011, Ammar said. Its storage capacity at Sirda was down to 1.5 million barrels from the pre-revolution figure of 6 million, he explained. This was a result of tanks being destroyed, first during the revolution itself, then in 2014 when Libya Dawn attacked the terminal. Two fields had also been badly damaged during the attack, he added.

RELATED POSTS

Waha Oil Company chairman detained, including for LD 770 million contract fraud

Waha Oil Company rebuilds destroyed oil storage tank using Libyan cadres – a first in the Libyan oil sector

Waha could probably build one or two tanks from its own funding, but not the 12 required.

As to the pipelines, a survey had been carried out in 2009 which indicated corrosion in many places, but the problem had become much worse in the three years since the start of the Libya’s divisions in mid 2014 .

“Many lines need replacement,” he told the conference.

There was no point, he added, trying to increase production if the pipelines were leaking and not fit for purpose. They had to be repaired first.

Nonetheless, noting that Waha production is currently 260,000 barrels a day, the aim was to increase this 600,000 b/d, Ammar said. “We require international companies to help us to enhance our production in future,” he stressed.

He acknowledged that foreign companies were hesitant to become involved in Libya because of security issues. As a result, only a few were in the country and most of the contracts aimed at increasing production had been put on hold or suspended. But, he stressed, security was less of an issue than before.

“Waha’s door is open,” he said. “Everyone is welcome.”

Foreign service companies that did not start talking to it now about development projects, he warned, risked be left behind when conditions improved.

“If you don’t get here now you will be last on the list [in the future],” he said.

 

Tags: featuredLBBCLibyaWaha Oil Company

Related Posts

High-level Libyan government delegation arrives in Guinea to regain ownership of illegally confiscated investment assets
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

August 29, 2025
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

August 28, 2025
Libya and Shell discuss several areas of cooperation
Business

Acting Minister of Oil and Gas Khalifa Abdel Sadig and US Chargé d’affaires Berndt discussions include developing oil sector

August 28, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Business

Aldabaiba-British Ambassador discussions include resumption of British Airways Libya flights and creating attractive Libyan investment environment for foreign companies

August 28, 2025
‘‘Enhancing skills related to the green and blue economy to enhance employment opportunities’’ workshop held in Tripoli
Business

Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

August 27, 2025
The International Forum & Exhibition for Free Zones – Misrata: 28 to 29 June at Misrata Free Zone
Business

Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Row continues over education ministry schoolbook endorsing suicide bombing

Row continues over education ministry schoolbook endorsing suicide bombing

HoR approves Salamé’s action plan

HoR approves Salamé’s action plan

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.