No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Civilians die as Sabratha fighting enters sixth day

byMichel Cousins
September 23, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Civilians die as Sabratha fighting enters sixth day

Car hit by random rocket-fire today (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald reporter.

Car hit by random rocket-fire today (Photo: Social media)
Car hit by random rocket-fire today (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 22 September 2017:

An entire family was reported to have been killed today when a shell fell on their car in Sabratha’s Dahman district, as fighting between the 48th Brigade and the Anti-Daesh Operations Room continued for a sixth day.

“The family were a long way from the fighting and were thought to be in a safe area,” a local official told the Libya Herald, “but one of the groups fired a missile which hit them.”

It was not known who was responsible, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Also reportedly killed today was one of the commanders of the 48th Battalion, Bashir Al-Gadi. The operations room further claimed to have destroyed a tank and an armoured vehicle belonging to the 48th.

Following the failure yesterday of the truce drawn up by elders from Zintan, Zawia and Sabratha itself, they were joined by others from Zuwara, Rigdaleen, Al-Jmail, Al-Mutrad, Khoms, Zliten and Misrata. According to the Sabratha municipal council, they called for an immediate ceasefire. There were reports late this evening that a truce had been accepted but stherehas been no confirmation so far. More than 20 people are said to have been wounded since the clashes started as well as five of the fighters killed.

Furthermore, until today, the clashes were limited to the town centre. However, the 48th Battalion has told residents in the Dahman area, east of the centre, to evacuate their homes. There were also reports of civilians leaving the Alwadi area after shells landed there.

Meeanwhile, there are reports of divisions within the operations room. One of its commanders, a Colonal Mohamed Muhara, is said to have submitted his resignation today saying that he did not want to be involved in the town’s destruction.

Tags: featuredLibyaSabratha

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Massive rise in petrol prices in south, but convoys of tankers from Misrata expected to start rolling this weekend

NOC’s Sanalla and Russia’s energy minister look to cooperation as oil producers defer decision on extending production cuts deal

NOC’s Sanalla and Russia’s energy minister look to cooperation as oil producers defer decision on extending production cuts deal

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.