No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA admits it does not know why one of its Mi-35s crashed yesterday

byNigel Ash
February 12, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
LNA admits it does not know why one of its Mi-35s crashed yesterday

Colonoel Moanem Eldrisi, said t have been piloting the downed chopper (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Colonel Mumin Al-Drissi pilot of the downed chopper (Photo: social media)
Colonel Mumin Al-Drissi pilot of the downed Mi-35 (Photo: social media)

Benghazi, 11 February 2017:

It is still unclear how an Libyan National Army Mi-35 heliopter came to crash south of Sirte yesterday. The army, which initially insisted a technical fault had been responsible, today admitted at a Benghazi press conference that it simply did not know.

The downing of the Russian-built chopper was claimed by a Benghazi Defence Brigade column. The LNA said that it had conducted nine strikes against this formation as it headed toward the Mabrouk oilfield. It claimed five militants had been killed and 20 injured.

Poor quality footage released by Khalifa Ghwell’s Foreign Media Department in Tripoli, begins with some type of aircraft clearly in trouble with smoke coming from it.  The height is hard to gauge but it is heading toward the camera, which breaks away to film an armed man running and shouting happily.  The lens then returns to a spot a kilometre or more away where a plume of smoke is rising from an explosion.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

A screen grab showing the billowing smoke where the Mi-35 crashed
A screen grab showing the billowing smoke where the Mi-35 crashed

A later sequence shows one charred corpse in crewman uniform and the body of another crewman who appeared to have been thrown clear but suffered catastrophic injuries to the front of his head. There were no shots of a third body.

The pilot is known to have have been Colonel Mumin Al-Drissi but there are reports that the other two crewmen were members of his family, technical airman Ibrahim Al-Drissi and Corporal Elmabruk Al-Drissi.

The wreckage was still burning when the BDB cameraman reached it. One shot showed a blackened circular rocket launcher slightly away from the main crash site.

It is known that on at least one occasion, a rocket exploded prematurely when fired from an LNA aircraft.

Tags: Benghazi Defence BrigadefeaturedLibyaLNAMabrouk oil fieldMi-35Mumin Al-Drissi

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Washington alarmed at new military formation in Tripoli

I will meet HoR, latest oil production is between 680-700,000 bpd: NOC chairman Sanalla

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.