No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Breish returns to Tripoli LIA HQ after court voids PC/GNA appointment-employees refute forced militia entry

bySami Zaptia
February 6, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Breish returns to Tripoli LIA HQ after court voids PC/GNA appointment-employees refute forced militia entry

The PC/GNA condemns forced entry by Breish into LIA HQ. Breish denies using force (Photo: PC/GNA).

By Sami Zaptia.

The PC/GNA condemns forced entry by Breish into LIA HQ. Breish denies using force (Photo: PC/GNA).
The PC/GNA condemns forced entry by Breish into LIA HQ. Breish denies using force (Photo: PC/GNA).

London, 6 February 2017:

Abdulmajid Breish, who had been previously ousted as chairman of the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA), made a return to its Tripoli headquarters yesterday.

Breish entered the LIA HQ located at the Tripoli Tower yesterday afternoon armed with a local court decision which overturned the decision of Faiez Serraj’s Presidency Council/Government of National Accord (PC/GNA) which had appointed a caretaker board and chairman under Ali Mohamed Hassan.

The PC/GNA issued an immediate statement yesterday condemning Breish, without naming him, for having stormed the LIA HQ by force and promised to take legal action.

RELATED POSTS

LIA welcomes UN Security Council’s updated Implementation Assistance Notice No. 6 clarifying interpretation of its asset freezing measures

LIA discusses with Germany reinvestment of frozen Libyan funds in Germany within Security Council resolutions – Sentry report disagrees

However, Breish himself has issued a statement denying that he had used force to enter the building.

An employee at the HQ today told Libya Herald that Breish had not stormed the HQ using militias, as many social media had been reporting. The source said that Breish was accompanied by unarmed members of the Nawasi brigade acting as Justice police executing on behalf of the court.

The source said Breish gathered all the staff at around 2.30 and spoke to them informing them that things will continue as they were and the LIA will continue operating as normal. In fact, the source said he witnessed less militias milling around now than he used to during Hassan’s term. He also accused Hassan of making new appointments to the LIA which were questionable.

Meanwhile, the saga of various power and political centres’s power struggle to control the LIA, and Libya’s institutions in general, continues in the absence of a strong, legitimate government, legitimate centralized security apparatus and strong independent judiciary.

The incident also continues to highlight the tension between international legitimacy and recognition conferred upon the Serraj PC/GNA by the international community and the United Nations, and the lack of domestic legitimacy and recognition.

 

 

Tags: Abdulmajid Breishcourtfeaturedinterim committeeLIA Interim Steering Commmittee chairman Ali MahmoudLIA Libyan Investment AuthoritymilitiasPC/GNA Presidency Council Government of National AccordSerraj

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
First ‘‘charter” flight to Misrata arrives from Malta

First ‘‘charter'' flight to Misrata arrives from Malta

Forum on the non-state financing of development projects to be held in Tripoli tomorrow

Forum on the non-state financing of development projects to be held in Tripoli tomorrow

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.